Baylor Equestrian Drops Tight 10-9 Battle to No. 1 TCU in Big 12 Championship Semifinal

Smith, Kalie Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 29 20:24:05 CDT 2024

Baylor Equestrian Drops Tight 10-9 Battle to No. 1 TCU in Big 12 Championship Semifinal
Flat dominance continues at Big 12 Championship
For more information contact: Kalie Smith, 409-351-0790, Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu<mailto:Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

WACO, Texas – Baylor equestrian (2-11) dropped a tight 10-9 battle to No. 1 TCU (12-1) in the Big 12 Championship Semifinal Friday afternoon at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

BU struggled in Fences but came back strong in Reining and Flat to tie the meet, 7-7. Despite some strong rides, Baylor dropped Horsemanship, 3-2.

Lauren Jorgensen (80.67) picked up the sole Fences point for the Bears.

Over in the Western arena, Baylor tied Reining, 2-2. Riley Cachat (70.17) and Emily Moomaw (72.17) scratched two points on the board. Sadie Peters (71.33) tied her point, leading to the event tie.

After the break, BU charged back to claim Flat, 4-1. Jorgensen (80.67), Lauren Reid (82.33), Dominika Silvestri (80.33) and Maddie Vorhies (88) added to the tally. This event win marks the third-consecutive Flat victory.

Alexis Rutledge (76.17) and Nadalee Vasquez (73.83) scratched two points on the board in Horsemanship.

NOTABLES

  *   Baylor moves to 25-13 against TCU all-time.
  *   BU Flat claimed its third-consecutive victory.
  *   Bears took three points by margins less than or equal to 0.5.
  *   Emily Moomaw (Reining) scored a season-high 72.17 aboard Bear.
  *   Lauren Reid (Flat) picked up her sixth-consecutive point.

STAT OF THE MEET

5- Five Bears made their Big 12 Championship debut, including Riley Cachat (Reining), Bella Hehr (Reining), Emily Moomaw (Reining), Sadie Peters (Reining) and Kalena Reynolds (Reining).

TOP QUOTES

Head Coach Casie Maxwell

On today’s meet…

“I am incredibly proud of our team's effort today. They rode outstanding and demonstrated tremendous support for one another all day. This was a tough loss, especially coming so close, but I could not ask more of their fight and efforts today. They have a lot to be proud of and I expect them to come out with strong performances again tomorrow and finish the conference championship on a high note.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor equestrian (2-11) faces Fresno State (3-9) in the 2024 Big 12 Championship Consolation Saturday morning at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

-BaylorBears.com-

Kalie Smith | Communications Coordinator (Equestrian)