No. 21 Baylor Softball Drops Friday Contest Against Iowa State, 3-2

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 29 18:23:21 CDT 2024

No. 21 Baylor Softball Drops Friday Contest Against Iowa State, 3-2
Cyclones even the three-game series, 1-1
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor Softball dropped its Friday afternoon contest against Iowa State, 3-2, at Getterman Stadium.

Baylor controlled most of the game, taking a two-run lead into the top of the seventh, but a late-inning comeback for the Cyclones evened the series at 1-1.

THE RUNDOWN
After Iowa State loaded the bases in the top of the first, starting pitcher Aliyah Binford pitched a lights-out performance, striking out two in the first and tying a career-high with 11 strikeouts.

Baylor got on the board first in the bottom of the third, when three singles from Sydney Collazos, Ashlyn Wachtendorf and Emily Hott loaded the bases with one out. Shaylon Govan then drew a full count walk to bring home the Bears’ first run.

BU’s second run came home in the bottom of the sixth after leadoff batter Presleigh Pilon singled to centerfield and moved to third on back-to-back groundouts. Taylor Strain then walked to put runners on the corners before a throwing error on the Cyclones catcher let Pilon come home from third.

With the 2-0 lead heading into the top of the seventh, BU wasn’t able to silence the ISU offense as the Cyclones strung together four hits to plate three runs and take the 3-2 lead.

After reliever RyLee Crandall struck out the final two batters in the seventh, Collazos tried to get a rally going in the bottom half of the inning with a leadoff double, but the Cyclones retired the next three batters to secure the win.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Sydney Collazos went 2-for-3 at the plate with a double
  *   Three other Bears combined for five hits on the day
  *   Shaylon Govan recorded the Bears’ only RBI with a bases-loaded walk
  *   Aliyah Binford pitched 6.0 scoreless innings, tying a career-high with 11 strikeouts
  *   Binford’s only run allowed was in the seventh inning
  *   The Bears fall to 2-9 in conference play

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Glenn Moore on the game …
“Absolutely, it was a tough-luck loss for (Binford) to have to endure. She did everything we needed her to do. Just started showing a little fatigue there at the end, above 100 pitches, and we had someone in the bullpen who had dominated the day before. So, we made all the right calls, I feel, you just tip your hat to them with what they were able to do with RyLee when she came in.”

Sydney Collazos on her double in the seventh …
“That was exciting, but we as an offense have to be able to finish it. And that starts from the beginning of the game. You can rally in the end, but the odds of that, coming back and walking off with a win in the seventh is not high. So, I think that as a team, we need to make adjustments quicker and communicate more so that we don’t put ourselves in that situation.”

UP NEXT
The Bears will face Iowa State for the series finale at 12 p.m. Saturday, March 30, at Getterman Stadium.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>