Baylor Baseball Stifled By Cincinnati in Series Opener

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Mar 28 23:26:58 CDT 2024

Baylor Baseball Stifled By Cincinnati in Series Opener
Jordan matches season high with three hits, Bears strike out 13 in loss

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (8-17, 3-7) was defeated by Cincinnati (16-11, 4-3) on Thursday night, 8-3, at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

Despite striking out 13 batters and registering nine hits as a team, including a season-high three from junior outfielder Wesley Jordan, the Bears couldn’t overcome a couple of big swings by UC in the series opener.

The Bearcats used a three-run home run in the top of the third to open the scoring and never looked back, adding some insurance runs before BU scored its only runs of the night in the bottom of the ninth.

Freshman left-handed pitcher Mason Green took the loss despite striking out a season- and career-high six batters. Senior righty Grant Golomb struck out the side in his lone inning of work. Offensively, junior infielder Hunter Teplanszky, senior infielder Daniel Altman and fifth-year senior infielder Mason Greer provided the RBIs for the Bears in the ninth.

THE RUNDOWN
Green started strong by striking out the side in order in the top of the first, marking just the second time in 2024 that a BU pitcher has fanned the side in order, and used Baylor’s league-leading 23rd double play of the season to end a quick second inning.

However, UC got on the board in the third via a three-run home run and threatened for more in the fourth, though Green was able to work out of danger.

In the fifth, an RBI single extended the Bearcats’ lead to 4-0 and UC squelched a Baylor threat in the home half as BU left two men on base.

A solo home run and an RBI squeeze bunt added tallies to UC’s lead in the top of the seventh and the Bearcats plated two more in the eighth to make it 8-0.

Baylor got on the board in the bottom of the ninth following Teplanszky’s RBI double, Altman’s RBI single and Greer’s RBI fielder’s choice, though that’s as far as the rally would go as Cincinnati claimed the series opener.

HIGHLIGHTS
• This was the first-ever meeting between Baylor and Cincinnati.
• BU struck out 13 batters, eclipsing double digits in punchouts for the 10th time this season and 30th time in the Thompson era.
• The Bears struck out the side in order twice (1st inning, Green; 9th inning, Golomb) for just the second and third times this season.
• Freshman LHP Mason Green struck out a season- and career-high six, despite taking the loss.
• Redshirt junior RHP Patrick Hail logged two strikeouts in 2.2 innings, remaining the only Baylor reliever to fan at least one in every appearance this season.
• Junior RHP Will Glatch set a career high with two punchouts.
• Senior RHP Grant Golomb made his fourth scoreless appearance and matched a season best with three strikeouts.
• Junior OF Wesley Jordan extended his team-leading on-base streak to 17 games with his third three-hit and sixth multi-hit performance of the year.
• Senior INF Daniel Altman logged his sixth multi-hit game of 2024 and drove in a run for the sixth time in his last seven games.
• Junior INF Hunter Teplanszky extended his on-base streak to nine games.

STAT OF THE DAY
1-2-3 – Baylor struck out the side in order twice against UC, marking just the second and third times this season that BU has fanned the side in order.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On Mason Green’s performance and how to move forward…
“I thought Mason Green threw the ball well, especially early. He was outstanding, you know, striking out the side in the first inning. Four innings, gave up only three hits, but the one big one was a three-run bomb. He struck out six and they kind of ran him out of pitches, it got to the point where we needed to get him out. You know, Friday night we played Texas Tech, they beat us here and it was kind of one of those games that we didn't get enough done. It was disappointing. We showed back up and we won [the next day]. We've got to show back up and compete and get it done. Mason [Marriott] is going to get the ball tomorrow. He's been our best guy all year and we need him to go out there and give us a good effort and then we need to show up swinging the bats.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (8-17, 3-7) and Cincinnati (16-11, 4-3) return for game two of the series on Friday, March 29, with a 6:30 p.m. first pitch at Baylor Ballpark.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)