Baylor WGOLF Jumps Nine Spots to Third at the PING/ASU Invitational

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 29 20:26:23 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS- March 29, 2024

Baylor WGOLF Jumps Nine Spots to Third at the PING/ASU Invitational
The Bears enter the final round just one shot back of the lead
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

PHOENIX, Ariz. – Baylor women’s golf carded a 9-under 279 on day two at the PING/ASU Invitational on Friday at the Papago Golf Club.

Three Bears shot under par, with former PING/ASU Invitational champion Sera Hasegawa leading Baylor with a 4-under 68. Junior BaiMai Seema recorded a 3-under 69 and senior Rosie Belsham claimed a 2-under 70.

UCLA and Northwestern are tied for the lead with an overall score of 7-under 569, only one shot ahead of Baylor's third-place score of 6-under 570. Oklahoma State’s Ellie Bushnell holds the individual overnight lead with an overall score of 7-under 137, just three shots clear of Hasegawa.

THE RUNDOWN

Hasegawa had a bogey-free first nine that included birdies at Nos. 15, 16 and 17. Her only bogey of the round was on No. 1, but with back-to-back birdies on Nos. 6 and 7 the junior signed for the second-best score of her season.

Ashleen Kaur shot an even-par 72 to end her day tied for eighth. The freshman birdied Nos. 12 and 14 and bogeyed Nos. 13, 15 and 16 to make the turn at 1-over. She made another bogey at No. 4 before a pair of birdies at Nos. 8 and 9 allowed her to sneak back to even by the end of the round.

Belsham started out hot with a birdie on her first hole of the day at No. 10. After a bogey on No. 18, the senior bounced back nicely with a couple of birdies at Nos. 2 and 3 to get to 2-under on the day and finish tied for 21st.

Seema enjoyed a career day with a 3-under 69, her lowest score in relation to par of her collegiate career. Like Hasegawa, she carded three birdies in the first nine holes on Nos. 11, 12 and 18. She bogeyed No. 1 but recovered with a birdie at No. 9 to finish strong in a tie for 30th.

Silje Ohma shot a 3-over 75 and heads into the final round tied for 75th. On her first nine, the sophomore carded three bogeys on Nos. 10, 14 and 18, with one birdie at No. 13. On her final nine, she made a couple of bogeys at Nos. 5 and 9 and around a birdie at No. 3.

Competing as an individual, Yoonjeong Huh shot a 9-over 81, ending the day tied for 92nd.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor jumped nine places on Saturday, the biggest move of anybody in the field.
  *   The 9-under 279 was the 17th-best single-round score in program history on a par-72 course.
  *   Hasegawa’s 68 was the fifth score of 68 or better this season for BU.
  *   The Bears lead the teams in par-4 scoring average (3.99).
  *   Belsham is tied for the most pars of the tournament (28).
  *   Seema claimed her lowest round of the season and the lowest of her Baylor career in relation to par.

QUOTABLE:
Head coach Jay Goble — "It was really nice to see this group play well at the same time today. We struggled a little bit early in the season, so our ranking is not indicative of how good we truly can be, but today is a great representation of what this team is capable of. I really like how everyone's game is trending at this point, which is how you put together good team scores like we did today. Sera and Rosie continue to play really well, and I believe today was one of the best — If not the best — rounds I have seen BaiMai [Seema] play. Her potential has always been there, and I think days like today will only help her maximize it as we ramp up into the postseason."

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor, grouped with UCLA and Northwestern, starts its final round of the PING/ASU Invitational on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. CT. To avoid high winds Saturday afternoon, the final round will feature a shotgun start. Live scoring and stats can be accessed at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=28635>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on X, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)