Baylor Soccer’s Merrill Records Hat Trick in Bears’ 7-0 Shutout Against ACU

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Sep 10 22:55:44 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 10, 2023

Baylor Soccer’s Merrill Records Hat Trick in Bears’ 7-0 Shutout Against ACU
Bears’ seven goals are the most in a game since 2016

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer dominated ACU on Sunday night at Betty Lou Mays Field, shutting out the Wildcats, 7-0, the Bears’ most goals scored in a match since 2016.

The Bears started the game on a strong note, as Tyler Isgrig found the back of the net in the 16th minute off of an assist from Ava Colberg. Natalie Vatter then took things into her own hands, dribbling down the field and netting her first career goal in the 33rd minute to give the Bears the 2-0 advantage going into halftime.

Firing on all cylinders in the second half, Ashley Merrill came out and scored three goals in under four minutes to complete BU’s first hat trick since the 2020 season. Finding her first goal in the 46th minute with an assist from Skye Leach, she made it look easy as she connected with Isgrig for her next two goals in the 48th and 49th minutes.

Isgrig was able to find her second goal of the match with an assist from Jenna Patterson in the 52nd minute that put the Bears up 6-0. With a little over three minutes still left on the clock, Micah Beasley netted her first-career goal with the help of Callie Conrad, giving Baylor the final 7-0 margin of victory.

Goalkeeper Makinzie Short played all 90 minutes in goal, recording four saves, as the Baylor defense was on lock in limiting the Wildcats’ attack to just five total shots

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   ACU had yet to concede a second-half goal this season
  *   Ashley Merrill recorded the first hat trick for the Bears since Taylor Moon on March 27, 2021, vs Louisiana
  *   20th hat trick in Baylor Soccer history
  *   First seven-goal game since Sept. 18, 2016, when the Bears beat Jackson State at home, 7-0
  *   Merrill ties Baylor records with three second-half goals and six second-half points
  *   4th shutout of the season for the Bears
  *   Micah Bealsey and Natalie Vatter netted their first career goals
  *   First multi-goal game for Tyler Isgrig since Sept. 11, 2022, when she had two vs Texas State (at TCU), which ties a career-high for her
  *   Isgrig had a new career high in points with six

QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard scoring seven goals …
“Yeah, it feels great. I feel like we could have done that two games ago, but going into halftime I challenged them. We passed up great opportunities to shoot in the first half, and sometimes I think that we are a little too unselfish at moments and looking for the perfect opportunity. My challenge was to get in the golden zone and shoot and they did. So, it was really great for the coaching staff to make comments at halftime and see the players come out and respond that way. So, I'm very happy with that.”

Ashley Merrill on what was clicking …
“We were moving the ball really well. The first half we moved it well, but we knew coming into the second half that we’ve got to do better and put the game away. And then, obviously, one great ball from Skye, two great balls from Tyler just to put it away. All I had to do was finish it.”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears will open conference play at home with Texas on Thursday, Sept. 14, before hosting UTSA in the Bears’ last non-conference matchup of the season on Sunday, Sept. 17.
- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>