Top-Ranked Ohio State Takes a Tuesday Night Win over No. 10 Baylor MT, 4-0

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Tue Feb 14 20:18:40 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 14, 2023

Top-Ranked Ohio State Takes a Tuesday Night Win over No. 10 Baylor MT, 4-0
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Baylor men’s tennis lost its Tuesday night match against the top-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes, 4-0, at the Ty Tucker Tennis Center.

Baylor (5-5) lost the doubles point with Ohio State (12-0) taking wins on Courts Two and Three but began to battle back in singles before home victories from spots two, four and six.

THE RUNDOWN

While Zsombor Velcz and Tadeas Paroulek held the Buckeye’s Andrew Lutschaunig and James Trotter unfinished at 4-2 score in favor of the home team, Courts Two and Three clinched the doubles point for Ohio State with a pair of 6-0 decisions.

For the Bears, Christopher Frantzen and Luc Koenig paired up for the first time this season on Two against Robert Cash and Justin Boulais. Meanwhile, Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi and Marko Miladinović teamed up for the first time this spring after going 2-1 together during fall tournament play against JJ Tracy and Jack Anthrop.

The first singles point came from Court Two, where No. 28 Trotter defeated freshman Koenig, 6-1, 6-4. Less than a minute later, ninth-ranked Tracy beat Miladinović on Two, 6-0, 6-3 for the third point of the night before the match was clinched at Six, with No. 75 Cash taking a 6-3, 6-0 result against Ethan Muza.

Going unfinished, No. 117 Paroulek mounted a second set comeback against Boulais, 6-2, 3-4, while Velcz battled No. 41 Alexander Bernard at 6-4, 3-3. Court Five left Grassi Mazzuchi and OSU’s Anthrop at 6-4, 3-2, with the Buckeye up.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Tuesday’s match…

“You have to give a lot of credit to Ohio State. They’re deservedly the No. 1 team in the country. They came out really strong in doubles, but as we moved into singles, I felt like we were able to find a rhythm and put ourselves in some good positions. I think there's some positives to take from it, but also some learning opportunities that will certainly use moving forward as we get ready for the national indoor tournament.

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears travel to Chicago for the ITA Indoor Team Championships, beginning on Friday, where they will get a rematch against the No. 3 Horned Frogs at 9 a.m.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)