No. 18 Baylor WGOLF Notches Tie for Third at T. Hession Regional Challenge

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue Feb 14 20:37:37 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 14, 2023

No. 18 Baylor WGOLF Notches Tie for Third at T. Hession Regional Challenge
Freshman Silje Ohma records second-straight top-three finish with a tie for second
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

PALOS VERDES ESTATES, Calif. – Baylor women’s golf finished tied for third on the heels of a 12-over 864 on Tuesday at the Therese Hession Regional Challenge.

Silje Ohma finished tied for second, continuing her string of stellar play with a third-straight top-five finish to open the spring slate. Rosie Belsham, last week's winner, recorded her second-straight top-five finish with a tie for fifth thanks to a final round 67.

The Bears finished six shots back of No. 5 Oregon, which won with a 6-over 585, five shots ahead of second-place and top-ranked Stanford and its 11-over 863.

THE RUNDOWN
Ohma started on No. 6 and opened with a bogey but got back into red figures with a pair of birdies at Nos. 11 and 12. Back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 14 and 15 dropped her back over par for the round until she carded another birdie at No. 18. The freshman played her final five holes at even par with a bogey at No. 2 and a birdie at No. 3.

Belsham had the round of the day with a 4-under 67 to move up 17 spots into a tie for fifth. The junior started out hot with a birdie on her second hole of the day and added four more at Nos. 10, 14, 17 and 18 to reach 5-under on the round. Back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 1 and 2 slowed her momentum momentarily until she notched a birdie at No. 3 to get in the house at 4-under on the round.

In her first spring tournament, Sera Hasegawa tied for 31st following a 4-over 75 on Tuesday. She made a par on her opening hole but followed with bogeys at Nos. 8 and 11 before closing out the opening nine with four-straight pars. Her par streak stopped at eight with a bogey at No. 2 and another at No. 4 to close out the round.

Hannah Karg shot a 3-over 74 to finish her week in a tie for 37th. The senior played an even-par opening nine with bogeys at Nos. 10 and 13 and birdies at Nos. 12 and 14. She finished up with three bogeys on her second nine at Nos. 18, 3 and 6.

Anika Veintemilla finished tied for 70th following her best round of the week, a 2-over 73. After two bogeys in her first four holes, Veintemilla played her next seven holes at 3-under par with birdies at Nos. 14, 17 and 18. The senior was 3-over on her final seven holes with four bogeys and a birdie.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor finished 6-2-1 against teams ranked in the GolfStat Top-25.
  *   BU was one of four teams to have all four counting scores beat the stroke average in round three (74.27).
  *   Baylor’s par-4 scoring average of 4.13 tied for the second-best in the field.
  *   Rosie Belsham had the second-best par-4 scoring average for the week (3.88).
  *   Silje Ohma had the third-best par-4 scoring average (3.91).
  *   Ohma led the field with 14 birdies.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Jay Goble on a strong finish against a good field: "I think our team is uniquely equipped to play our best on difficult golf courses, and that's exactly what we got out here this week. This course forces you to be patient and pick your spots, and I thought we did a tremendous job of that all week, so I am really proud of how we played against some of the best players and teams in college golf."

Goble on Top-5 finishes from Belsham and Ohma: “Rosie was amazing. Today was absolutely the hardest day, and for her to go out and shoot a 67 just shows just how well she is playing right now. This is the second tournament in a row that Silje has played really well, which bodes well for her and for our team. She has the confidence to know she can go toe-to-toe with the best players in college golf.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will play in the Darius Rucker intercollegiate at Long Cove Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C. Feb. 27-March 1. The event will feature live coverage on Golf Channel each day from 1:30-4:30 p.m. CT. For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF/)