Baylor Softball Falls to No. 7 Arkansas, 11-7

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 12 15:34:52 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 12, 2023

Baylor Softball Falls to No. 7 Arkansas, 11-7
Shaylon Govan hits grand slam in 7-run fourth inning
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Baylor Softball fell to No. 7 Arkansas, 11-7, Sunday morning in the Bears' final game at the UNLV Rebel kickoff in Las Vegas, Nev.

Baylor, now 4-1 on the season, got within one run of the Razorbacks after a grand slam in the fourth inning.

THE RUNDOWN
After a leadoff single from Arkansas, Baylor starter Dariana Orme (1-1) sat down the next three Razorbacks in order to keep them off of the board in the first inning.

The Bears got a runner on in the first, when Amber Toven singled to left field, but weren't able to bring her around to score.

Arkansas plated two in the second to take the lead before the Bears were retired in order.

After the Razorbacks extended their lead to 3-0 in the top of the third, the Bears threatened in the bottom half of the inning. Zadie LaValley led off the inning with a single, followed by a walk and a fielder's choice, to put two on with one out. Toven singled to the pitcher to load the bases, but two back-to-back fly outs ended the inning.

The Razorbacks plated five runs in the fourth in extending the lead to 8-0.

The Bears came up big in the bottom of the fourth, putting up seven runs. Aliyah Binford scored first in the inning off of a sacrifice fly from Presleigh Pilon. LaValley reached on an error and Taylor Strain walked to load the bases before back-to-back walks cut the Razorbacks' lead to 8-3.

With the bases still loaded, Shaylon Govan launched a grand slam over the wall in center field to make it a one-run game, 8-7.

Binford tossed two scoreless innings, keeping Arkansas at bay, but the Razorbacks answered in the top of the seventh with two home runs that extended the final margin to 11-7.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Shaylon Govan hit her first home run of the season, a grand slam
  *   Amber Toven recorded two hits
  *   Seven different Bears scored a run
  *   Baylor had as many shutout innings against Arkansas (3) as the Razorbacks had in their first four games combined
  *   Baylor had six hits in the matchup
  *   Dariana Orme, Aliyah Binford and RyLee Crandall combined for seven strikeouts

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Glenn Moore
"It was a good start. We got the nerves out, saw a lot of good things. The good thing is, we certainly are improving offensively. We’ve been lacking in that area the last few years, and I’m really, really happy with the mindset of our hitters right now."

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor will be back in action Friday, Feb. 17, taking on Stephen F. Austin in game one of the Getterman Classic.

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com