Baylor WT Grabs 5-2 Victory at Harvard

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Wed Feb 8 19:35:25 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 8, 2023

Baylor WT Grabs 5-2 Victory at Harvard
The Bears improve to 7-2 on the year

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Baylor women’s tennis team (7-2) jumped back in the win column on Wednesday with a 5-2 win at Harvard (3-4).

In their first outing as a pair this season, Anita Sahdiieva and Brooke Thompson defeated their opponents on No. 2 doubles, 6-3, before Isabella Harvison and Danielle Tuhten fought back on No. 3 to take it, 6-4, and get the Bears on the board.

In singles action, Baylor jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a 6-4, 6-3 victory by Paula Barañano on No. 4. On court No. 5, Danielle Tuhten secured the 6-2, 7-6 (3) win over Sany Gawande to extend the Bears’ lead. The Crimson earned their first point with a win on No. 2, but a win by Alina Shcherbinina on court No. 1 clinched the match for Baylor. Daniella Dimitrov fell in a tiebreaker on No. 6, after Isabella Harvison helped the Bears grab their fifth point in the match.

“Today was a great team win,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We’re making progress in a lot of areas and it is encouraging to see. We’re proud of the team’s response, because playing on the road presents its own challenges, but we handled it really well. Now, we’ve just got to turn our attention to another tough opponent next weekend in Wisconsin.”

The Bears return home to host Wisconsin at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

RESULTS

Singles
No. 1 – Alina Shcherbinina def. Charlotte Owensby, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
No. 2 – Maxi Duncan def. Anita Sahdiieva, 6-4, 6-4
No. 3 – Isabella Harvison def. Sophia Ho, 6-4, 7-5
No. 4 – Paula Barañano def. Angel You, 6-4, 6-3
No. 5 – Danielle Tuhten def. Sany Gawande, 6-2, 7-6 (3)
No. 6 – Mihaela Marculescu def. Daniella Dimitrov, 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (5)

Doubles

No. 1 – Paula Barañano/Danielle Dimitrov vs. Sophia Ho/Maxi Duncan, 4-5 (unfinished)

No. 2 – Anita Sahdiieva/Brooke Thompson def. Iveta Daujotaite/Rachel Arbitman, 6-3

No. 3 – Isabella Harvison/Danielle Tuhten def. Charlotte Owensby/Angel You, 6-4

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)