Baylor Soccer Narrowly Falls Against Texas, 1-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 30 22:49:08 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 30, 2022

Baylor Soccer Narrowly Falls Against Texas, 1-0
Bears hold Longhorns to second-fewest shots of the season
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer narrowly fell against Texas, 1-0, Friday night at Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field.

The Bears battled the Longhorns all night long, allowing the lone goal in the in the 27th minute.

BU went shot-for-shot with UT in the first half, with each squad getting off seven shots. The Bears totaled four shots on goal to get things started, with Blythe Obar, Gabby Mueller, Olivia Mack and Elizabeth Kooiman recording one each.

Kooiman shined offensively for the Bears, tallying five shots, all of them on goal. She put one on frame to end the first half, with the Longhorn goalkeeper barley pushing it over the top of the goal.

Holding off the Longhorns in the second half, the Baylor defense only allowed four shots, one on goal. Baylor held Texas to just 11 shots, four on goal, the fewest the Longhorns have had this season, aside from a 2-0 loss to No. 1 North Carolina.

The Bears tallied five shots on goal in the second half, with chances coming from Kooiman and Maddie Algya.

Lauren Traywick played all 90 minutes in goal for the Bears, picking up three saves.

Up next, the Bears will host Kansas and Kansas State on Thursday, Oct. 6, and Sunday, Oct. 9.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   BU out-shot UT, 14-11, including 9-4 on goal
  *   Bears tallied second-most shots on goal of the season
  *   Morgan Greensage made her first-career start
  *   Reneta Vargas played her first-career game minutes, coming back from injury
  *   Elizabeth Kooiman led the team with five shots, all on goal
  *   Seven Bears combined to put up shots
  *   BU held Texas to its second-fewest shots and shots on goal of the season

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“Outside of the first few minutes, where I thought we were unsettled and they had us under a lot of pressure, I though overall we played really well. We had a lot of good opportunities of our own. I thought the brand of soccer that we played was really positive, we got on the ball, we created through the midfield, we created attacking opportunities, we got in the box and got shots off. I really feel like we are trending in the right direction. Still, we have got to find a way to put the ball in the back of the net and we didn’t, but today we out-shot our opponent, we put more shots on frame and it’s against one of, if not the best team in the Big 12 right now, and we are playing here at their place. So, really happy with the overall performance. It’s not the outcome we want of course, but trending in the right direction and I think we can build off of that.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>