Baylor WT Sweeps Doubles Action on Saturday

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Sat Oct 29 16:21:05 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 29, 2022

Baylor WT Sweeps Doubles Action on Saturday
Bears combine to go 6-0 in two rounds of doubles

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 309-241-9801, Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Women’s tennis continued the Baylor Invite on Saturday, going undefeated with a 6-0 record in two rounds of doubles play inside the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

After in falling in doubles on Friday, Brooke Thompson and Danielle Tuhten bounced back with a 6-1 win over Washington State’s Eva Alvarez Sande and Maxine Murphy. Baylor’s Paula Barañano and Daniella Dimitrov (6-2), as well as Liubov Kostenko and Alina Shcherbinina (6-1), also picked up doubles wins over their respective opponents from Houston and Washington State.

In a second round of doubles, Barañano and Dimitrov (6-3) and Kostenko and Shcherbinina (6-2) went undefeated again, while a new pair of Bears in Tuhten and Isabella Harvison posted a 6-1 win over Washington State’s Yura Nakagawa and Fifa Kumhom.

Singles play saw three Bears take home victories. Barañano, Harvison and Shcherbinina remained undefeated on the weekend, besting their opponents from Washington State.

QUOTABLE

“Today was another great day of tennis,” Baylor head coach Joey Scrivano said. “I’m proud of the ladies and how hard they competed. They did a great job of starting strong and continued that momentum through the second round of doubles and singles. I like the direction we are headed, and tomorrow is a big day for us. It’s always tough when the fatigue starts to set in and I’m excited to see how we respond tomorrow.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Baylor Invite is set to wrap up on Sunday, beginning with doubles at 9 a.m. followed by singles.

SATURDAY’S BAYLOR RESULTS
Singles
Paula Barañano def. Elyse Tse (Washington St.), 6-2, 6-1
Isabella Harvison def. Eva Alvarez Sande (Washington St.), 6-2, 6-4
Alina Shcherbinina def. Yura Nakagawa (Washington St.), 6-1, 6-2
Maxine Murphy (Washington St.) def. Liubov Kostenko, 0-6, 6-4, 10-4
Maria Dzemeshkevich (Houston) def. Daniella Dimitrov, 0-6, 6-3, 10-6
Soya Kovalenko (Houston) def. Brooke Thompson, 6-2, 2-6, 10-1

SATURDAY’S BAYLOR RESULTS
Doubles – Round 1
Paula Barañano/Daniella Dimitrov def. Sophie Schouten/Blanca Cortijo Parreno (Houston), 6-2
Liubov Kostenko/Alina Shcherbinina def. Yura Nakagawa/Fifa Kumhom (Washington St.), 6-1
Brooke Thompson/Danielle Tuhten def. Eva Alvarez Sande/Maxine Murphy (Washington St.), 6-1

Doubles – Round 2
Paula Barañano/Daniella Dimitrov def. Elyse Tse/Stefaniia Mikhailova (Washington St.), 6-3
Danielle Tuhten/Isabella Harvison def. Yura Nakagawa/Fifa Kumhom (Washington St.), 6-1

Liubov Kostenko/Alina Shcherbinina def. Blanca Cortijo Parreno/Sophie Schouten (Houston), 6-2

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)