Baylor XC Heads to Lubbock for Big 12 Championships

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 27 16:24:00 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 27, 2022

Baylor XC Heads to Lubbock for Big 12 Championships
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The Baylor cross country squad is headed to Lubbock, Texas, for the 2022 Big 12 Championships, hosted by Texas Tech at Lubbock Christian’s Chaparral Ridge Cross Country Course.

The Bears return to the conference meet after the men finished seventh and the women sixth in the 2021 edition of the event.

“I get excited [for the postseason] just because I know the work’s already been done and we’ve been able to avoid a bunch of the hiccups that some teams have kind of run into,” said head cross country coach David Barnett. “So yeah, I’m looking forward to it. We don’t have a win-loss record like a lot of other teams. It all comes down to this.”

The conference field includes two top-25 teams for the men’s race in Oklahoma State (No. 4) and Texas (No. 23). Oklahoma State and West Virginia represent the Big 12 in the women’s rankings, at No. 3 and No. 28, respectively.

Friday morning’s action begins with the women’s 6k at 10 a.m. Baylor will be highlighted by Ellie Hodge, Hayden Gold, Jordan Ledington, Sophia Leidner, Cate Urbani and Taylor Whitfield.

“We’ve had Ellie [Hodge] up front by a fair amount, and then the next four women kind of together,”said Barnett. “The better day that Ellie has, the more it takes the pressure off the other folks.”

The men will run following the women at 11 a.m. in their 8k race. Ryan Day, Ryan Hodge, Devin Duran, Drew Snyder, Noah Monroy and Ethan Wrase will be in the box for the Bears.

“[Ryan Day] made the step, I would say, in an outdoor season last year,” said Barnett. “He ended up being ninth in the outdoor 5K, and that was big for him. Usually when that happens, you can make the jump in cross country after that. And fortunately, he’s been able to stay healthy and do that. But mentally, he’s made a big jump, because it’s one thing to do it physically, but mentally to put yourself up there when you know it’s a five-mile race. He’s just focusing on the race he’s in and not doing too much. So, he’s been good. I’ve been really, really proud of him.”

Big 12 Now on ESPN+<https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/a6416a94-606e-4cbe-8a52-20b84c216e58> will be streaming the meet, and live results will be provided by PrimeTime Timing<https://live.pttiming.com/XC-PTT.html?mid=5229>.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor track and field, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorTrack.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)