Baylor Soccer Falls to Kansas State, 2-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Oct 9 15:24:56 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 9, 2022

Baylor Soccer Falls to Kansas State, 2-1
Vargas nets her third goal in two games
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer falls in the final seconds to Kansas State, 2-1, Sunday afternoon at Betty Lou Mays Field.

The Bears who are now 3-7-2 on the season, 1-3-0 in conference play, scored the equalizer in the second half before narrowly falling to the Wildcats.

THE RUNDOWN
Baylor started the match strong, with defender Ava Colberg putting a shot on frame in the second minute. By the fifth minute, Baylor had already taken two corners put weren’t able to capitalize off of set pieces.

Ashley Merrill lined up a shot in the 11th minute that had potential but bounced off of the top woodwork.

In total, Baylor took seven corners in the first half, creating chances but not able to find the back of the net on any of them.

The Wildcats scored their first goal in the 30th minute and held the 1-0 lead into halftime.

After the break, Jenna Patterson lined up a good look, but the KSU goalkeeper made the stop. Elizabeth Kooiman also took a shot but it ricocheted off the crossbar.

In the 53rd minute, Reneta Vargas, who started in her second-straight game of the week was able to find the back of the net for the third time in two games. With an assist off of the boot of Hannah Augustyn, Vargas headed the ball into the back of the net and evened the score at 1-1.

Goalkeeper Lauren Traywick tallied seven saves in the match, including three almost back-to-back-to-back saves in the second half, one in which she made a diving stop.

BU only put one more shot on goal for the remainder of the game, as Maddie Algya and Micah Beasley each had shots that sailed just high of the net.

The Wildcats scored their winning goal with 18 seconds left on the clock after a penalty in the box was called on the Bears and KSU lined up for a penalty kick.

STAT OF THE MATCH

  *   Reneta Vargas scored her third-career goal in the match. She now was three goals in the last two games, to tie a team-high.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears took nine corner kicks
  *   Lauren Traywick made seven saves, two shy of tying a career-high
  *   The Bears tallied 13 shots from 10 different Bears
  *   Five different Bears, Jenna Patterson, Reneta Vargas, Blythe Obar, Ava Colberg and Sarah Hornyak, each put shots on goal
  *   Three of Baylor’s four defenders played all 90 minutes

QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“That’s disappointing, for sure. For us to come out on Thursday and play the way that we did, and respond the way that we did going down. I thought we came out sluggish and tired, and maybe that’s a little bit of carryover from Thursday, so much excitement and energy used in that game. Despite that, I thought we played well enough to certainly not lose in the last 30 seconds on what looked like a pretty questionable call to me. I didn’t think there was enough there to determine a game on that. So, that’s frustrating. And unfortunately, that’s about all I can think about at the moment. I told the players, we don’t want to be in that situation where the game can come down to a call in the last 30 seconds of the game. We needed to be sharper with the chances we did have. Again, controlled more of the ball, we were vulnerable in counter attacks. That’s all they looked to do the whole game, win and kick it, win and kick it. But, we had chances, we were in the attacking third and we lacked the execution in the box today that we had on Thursday. And when you do that, sometimes you end up in these tough situations that sometimes go that way.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears will head on the road to face Iowa State Thursday, Oct. 13, in Ames, Iowa before heading to West Virginia to face the Mountaineers Sunday, Oct. 16.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>