Baylor Baseball Takes Care of UT Arlington, 15-9

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue Mar 29 23:48:43 CDT 2022

Baylor BSB Takes Care of UT Arlington, 15-9
Bears stay hot with third-consecutive and 10th total double-digit hit output of 2022

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (13-11) took care of UT Arlington (8-16) by a final of 15-9 on Tuesday evening at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

The Bears stayed hot at the plate with their third-consecutive and 10th total double-digit hit performance of 2022, coming up one shy of a season-high output. BU has now scored 31 runs in its last two games combined, making this the 10th time in the Steve Rodriguez era that the Bears have posted 30 or more runs in back-to-back games.

Baylor jumped onto the scorecard with an eight-run second inning which included home runs by Casen Neumann and Jack Pineda. Nine consecutive Bears reached base safely, as Cortlan Castle and Kyle Nevin also drove in runs.

The Mavericks scored the next four tallies, but BU answered in the bottom of the fourth with a trio of runs coming via a Chase Wehsener two-run double and Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo RBI groundout that made it 11-4.

The Bears put up another three-spot in the fifth off three hits and a UTA error to extend the lead to 14-4. UTA chipped away with three runs in the sixth, but BU answered right back with a tally in the bottom of the seventh thanks to Wehsener’s fourth RBI of the night.

UTA scored one more run in each of the eighth and ninth innings, but it wouldn’t be enough to put a dent in the Baylor victory.

NOTES
• Baylor improved to 48-16 in midweek contests under seventh-year head coach Steve Rodriguez, including a 5-1 mark so far in 2022.
• Baylor is now 80-33 (.708) at home over the past five seasons, including an 8-7 mark in 2022.
• With 15 runs against UTA, the Bears have now scored 31 runs over their last two games.
• This is the 10th time in the Rodriguez era that the Bears have scored at least 30 runs in back-to-back games.
• BU out-hit its opponent for the seventh-consecutive game and improved to 10-3 in such games this year.
• The Bears tallied double-digit hits for the 10th time this year and fifth time in the last seven games.
• With six extra-base hits against UTA, Baylor has now recorded at least three XBH in five of its last seven games.
• In the second inning, nine consecutive Bears reached base safely, making this the first time BU has done so since May 9, 2021 (vs. K-State).
• This is the first time BU has hit two home runs in the same inning since April 6, 2021 (vs. UTA).
• Eight runs is the most Baylor has scored in a single inning since scoring 17 in the 5th against Kansas State on May 9, 2021.
• All nine BU starters scored a run for the first time in the same game since May 9, 2021 (vs. K-State).
• Jared McKenzie tallied his fourth three-hit game in his last seven outings.
• McKenzie tied his career high with a season-high four runs scored.
• Casen Neumann drove in a run for the fourth-straight game, and fifth time in his last six appearances.
• Kyle Nevin and Jack Pineda each tied season highs with three RBIs.
• Chase Wehsener knocked in a season-high four runs.
• Brett Garcia earned his first win of the season.
• Max Miller made his collegiate debut.

STAT OF THE GAME
31 – The Bears have scored a combined 31 runs in their last two games, making this the 10th time in the Rodriguez era that BU has scored at least 30 runs in consecutive games.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On scoring 31 runs over the last two games…
“I don’t want to say we expected this many runs, but I knew the offense had this potential at the beginning. When it got started off really slow, people started to get a little bit worried. It’s just a matter of when it’s going to catch on. Hopefully, they do it at the same time. As long as they can continue to take great at-bats, have great approaches and take solid swings on the ball in the kill zone, [this will continue].”

Junior INF Jack Pineda
On if the offense is peaking at the right time…
“Definitely, we are just a team that gets better with each at-bat and that kind of shows lately with the amount of runs that we’re able to score late in games. As the season carries on, we get a better idea of what teams are trying to do, and then we just feel what our swing is going to do too. It’s a little bit easier when your feet are a bit planted and more comfortable. Hitting is so contagious and you’re starting to see us all get hot at the same time.”

Redshirt Junior 1B Chase Wehsener
On the offense starting to get hot…
“We have faced some great pitching this year. I think it has set us up to come into the Big 12 and see that same caliber of pitching. We keep getting better and growing with that as much as we can. We’re sticking with that approach and buying in to the team in any way we can.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (13-11, 2-4) remains at home for a three-game series against East Tennessee State (17-5, 0-0) beginning Friday, April 1, at 6:30 p.m. at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)