Baylor Softball Drops Midweek Matchup Against Incarnate Word, 6-4

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Tue Mar 29 21:48:41 CDT 2022

Baylor Softball Drops Midweek Matchup Against Incarnate Word, 6-4
Bears out-hit UIW, 9-8 in the loss
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor Softball dropped its midweek matchup against Incarnate Word, 6-4, Tuesday night at Getterman Stadium.

The Bears jumped out to the early lead in Tuesday night’s matchup, when McKenzie Wilson drew a leadoff walk and stole second before a sacrifice bunt from Taylor Strain moved her to third. Kaci West reached first on a hard-hit ball to the shortstop to score Wilson. Sydney Collazos followed that up with a single, but that was all for the Bears in the first.

Starting pitcher Kaci West sat the Cardinals down in order to begin the second, as two Bears got on in the bottom half of the inning, but no runs came across.

Incarnate Word put up four unearned runs in the top of the third on two Baylor errors, a walked-in run and a single to center field.

Rachel Hertenberger entered to pitch in the fourth, striking out the first batter she saw and ending the inning for the Cardinals on a groundout.

Timely hits in the fifth plated two more for Incarnate Word, but the Bears got a run back when Collazos drove in Ana Watson with her second hit of the night.

The Bears cut the Cardinals’ lead in half in the bottom of the sixth, when Zadie LaValley and Rhein Trochim both had one-out singles and scored on Wilson’s two-run double to left-center field.

With the 6-4 advantage heading into the seventh, the Cardinals got two runners on, but reliever Maren Judisch came in and struck out the last batter.

The Bears’ late rally fell just short as they were only able to get one runner on in the bottom of the seventh, falling to Incarnate Word, 6-4.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   McKenzie Wilson and Sydney Collazos each went 2-for-3 at the plate
  *   Seven Bears recorded a hit on the day
  *   The Bears outhit the Cardinals, 9-8
  *   Wilson recorded two stolen bases; Rhein Trochim had one

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the game…
“You have to be able to rest some arms midweek and make sure your pitchers are bullpen ready for the Big 12 weekend this time of year and knock off some of the rust of those pitchers that haven’t thrown a lot. That’s what our attempt was tonight. You just hope that you have the defense and you have the offense to overcome it and we certainly didn’t do that. You have to give credit to Incarnate Word, they played, one of the best games of the year for them. They came in and had the opportunity to make us better and they took advantage of that so I certainly tip my hat. I thought we should have played better behind the pitchers and a lot of that was to save our one and two.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>