Baylor Baseball Drops Heartbreaker at Oklahoma, 9-5

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 26 18:29:16 CDT 2022

Baylor BSB Drops Heartbreaker at Oklahoma, 9-5
Andrade throws five scoreless, Nevin racks up three hits in the loss

NORMAN, Okla. – Baylor baseball (11-11, 1-4) dropped a 9-5 game at Oklahoma (14-7, 2-0) on Saturday afternoon at L. Dale Mitchell Park in Norman, Okla.

The Bears held a 5-1 lead in the eighth inning, but two late grand slams by the Sooners stole the victory.

Kobe Andrade was sharp in his weekend rotation debut, throwing five scoreless innings and only allowing two hits with one walk and one strikeout. Kyle Nevin gave the Bears three hits at the plate, including his fourth home run of the season which opened the scoring in the top of the fourth inning.

In the fifth, BU added to its early lead thanks to a two-out RBI single from Alex Gonzales. Then, another run crossed the plate in the sixth as Nevin scored on a wild pitch to make it 3-0.

OU got one back in the bottom half to make it 3-1, but Baylor posted the next two runs off an Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo double and remained in front at 5-1.

After the Sooners loaded the bases with two outs in the eighth, a grand slam tied the score at 5-5 and shifted the momentum. Two hits and an error loaded the bases again in the ninth, and on the first pitch that Hambleton Oliver threw, OU’s Peyton Graham hit a walk-off grand slam to end it.

NOTES
• Baylor outhit its opponent for the 11th time this season.
• Kobe Andrade made his first start as part of the weekend rotation and went five scoreless innings with just two hits allowed.
• Kyle Nevin led the Bears with three hits, his first three-hit performance of the season.
• Alex Gonzales recorded two hits for his third multi-hit effort of 2022.
• Jared McKenzie tallied a pair of hits for his sixth multi-hit game of the year.
• McKenzie also extended his on-base streak to nine games.
• Tre Richardson extended his on-base streak to 13 games.
• Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo notched his second multi-RBI game of the season.

STAT OF THE GAME
5 – Kobe Andrade pitched five scoreless innings in his first weekend start.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On today’s game…
“I thought Kobe Andrade did a great job in a starting role, which is something new for him this year. Being able to come out and do what he did was really good for us. It gives us something to really build on. Offensively, I thought our guys did a really good job against a pretty good pitcher, executing early and being able to scratch across a bunch of runs. We still left a few too many guys on base, but I thought overall we took some really good swings. We just had a bad inning on defense. We have to eliminate the walks. To be honest, this continues to force us to get better. We have the right guys out there, we just have to make sure they’re doing the right job.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (11-11, 1-4) looks to salvage the series at Oklahoma (14-7, 2-0) in Sunday’s finale with first pitch set for 2 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)