Baylor T&F’s Brackins Wins Collegiate Long Jump at Texas Relays

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 26 20:57:12 CDT 2022

Baylor T&F’s Brackins Wins Collegiate Long Jump at Texas Relays
Brackins and Nugent win hardware on the final day of competition
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu

AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor track and field completed the 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays on Saturday, with one winner, one bronze medalist and a new national No. 1 long jumper.

“It was a great Texas Relays for our Baylor Bears,” said head coach Michael Ford. “Coach (Stacey) Smith has done a great job with Johnny (Brackins). Our relays ran really well today, and our ladies 4x1 time was big for us. We got a lot of national marks, and I am looking forward to seeing the team polls when they come out on Monday.”

Johnny Brackins competed in the long jump and ended as the collegiate champion with his jump of 26-9 ¾, with a college-legal 3.7 m/s wind. That length is good for the program record in the event, broken for the first time since Danny Brabham set the record in 1973. The true-freshman now leads the nation by over an inch so far in this early outdoor season.

Ackera Nugent won the bronze medal in the final round of the women’s 100-meter hurdles Saturday, putting up a new collegiate PR of 12.72 seconds (2.5 wind). In the men’s 110-meter hurdles, Elijah Morris finished in seventh place with a 13.80-second race (2.6 wind), followed by Brackins in ninth.

Dillon Bedell, Matthew Moorer, Nathaniel Ezekiel and Howard Fields III recorded the fastest 4x400-meter relay the program has seen since the 2021 Texas Relays, finishing in a quick 3:02.68 for third place, notably first among Big 12 programs competing. For the women, Mariah Ayers, Kavia Francis, Aaliyah Miller and Imaobong Uko recorded a fifth-place finish in 3:32.05.

The women’s 4x100-meter relay finished in fourth place with Caira Pettway, Nugent, Sydney Washington and Ayers finishing the race in 43.85 seconds, marking the fastest 4x1 so far this season and tying the seventh-fastest ever in program history.

The men’s 4x200-meter relay, comprised of Hasani Barr, De’montray Callis, Isaiah Cunningham and Moorer, opened up the day and clocked a 1:21.97 race with a fifth-place finish, putting the squad in the No. 10 spot all-time at Baylor in the race. In the women’s event, Bria Bullard, Demitra Carter, Arria Minor and Francis finished in the seventh-place position after their 1:34.38 race.

Baylor hosts their first home meet of the 2022 season next weekend, with discus throw held Friday evening followed by the remainder of the meet on Saturday. All home meet information can be found at baylorbea.rs/22HomeInfo<https://baylorbears.com/sports/2018/5/16/outdoor-home-info.aspx>.

“We still have to keep improving every week, but I do think we had a successful Texas Relays,” said Ford. “We’re now looking forward to great weather and a great crowd at our home meet next weekend.”

For the latest news on the Baylor track and field team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

Colin Pirtle | Communications Intern (Interim-T&F/XC)