Baylor T&F’s Prosper Breaks School Record in First Collegiate Meet

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 25 21:12:53 CDT 2022

Baylor T&F’s Prosper Breaks School Record in First Collegiate Meet
Bears advance six to finals at prestigious Texas Relays
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu

THE RUNDOWN
AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor track and field competed in the third day of the 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays on Friday, advancing three student-athletes and one relay team to the final round of competition on Saturday.

Nnamdi “Zaza” Prosper was the nightcap on Friday for the Bears, but had no problem showing out. In his first collegiate meet, the true-freshman crushed the old program record in the javelin that stood since 2011. His throw of 257-3 was enough for a third-place finish in his first-ever event.

Ackera Nugent won her heat of the 100-meter hurdles, running a 12.97-second time and placing second overall in the event to advance to the final round tomorrow. Alexis Duncan just missed an advancing spot, finishing 10th with a 13.46 race. Kiara Rhodes was the last Bear to compete in the event, finishing in 23rd-place.

For the men, Johnny Brackins and Elijah Morris both advanced on to Saturday’s final of the 110-meter hurdles. Brackins finished in third place with a 13.72-second race, followed by Morris at 14.01 seconds in ninth.

Nathaniel Ezekiel and Jayson Baldridge ran in the 400-meter finals on Friday, with Ezekiel finishing in second place in 49.31 seconds and Baldridge following in 49.78 seconds. In the women’s edition of the race, Gontse Morake got the seventh-place finish in 58.80 seconds.

The women’s 4x100-meter relay squad recorded a time of 44.51 seconds, enough to secure the eighth-place slot in the preliminary round and qualify on to the finals. Caira Pettway, Nugent, Sydney Washington and Mariah Ayers represented the Bears in the event.

The women’s B section of the 100-meter dash was highlighted by Pettway’s first-place finish. Her race of 11.31 seconds records a new personal-record and moves her to the seventh spot all-time at Baylor, tied with Kiana Horton in 2016. Bria Bullard finished 12th in the field of 64, running a 11.74-second race.

The men’s B section of the 100-meter dash was packed full of 92 runners. Baylor’s Isaiah Cunningham found the third-place position in the event, running a 10.30-second race. Laurenz Colbert was just behind Cunningham, finishing in 10th with a 10.37 race.

In the shot put (B), Cole Hardan picked up his second medal of the young outdoor season with his second-place finish of 58-4 ½.

In the long jump B section, the Bears found a 2-3 finish with Alex Madlock and Pettway taking those positions, respectively. Madlock secured her silver medal with a 20-11 ¼ jump on her last attempt, setting a new personal-best and moving up Baylor’s all-time list to No. 4. Pettway’s 20-9 jump was hit on her third attempt and is just shy of her PR. Madlock returned to the pit for the triple jump, where she placed fifth with a max jump of 42-10 ¾.

The women’s distance medley relay, comprised of Aaliyah Miller, Morgan Stewart, Ellie Friesen and Hayden Gold, got the fourth-place finish in 11:37.37.

Washington recorded an 11.51-second race in the women’s 100, falling just short of advancing with her 10th-place finish. Freshman Michaela Francois finished in 21st-place with her time of 11.67. The men’s 4x100 squad of Laurenz Colbert, Cunningham, Kamden Jackson and De’montray Callis also fell one spot behind the qualifying mark with a 10th-place finish in 39.53 seconds.

For the latest news on the Baylor track and field team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Ackera Nugent advanced to the final round of the women’s 100-meter hurdles with her second-place finish of 12.97.
  *   Johnny Brackins ran the third-fastest overall time in the men’s 110-meter hurdles, clocking a 13.72-second race.
  *   Eli Morris advanced to the finals of the 110mH, finishing in 14.01 seconds.
  *   Caira Pettway, Ackera Nugent, Sydney Washington and Mariah Ayers got an eighth-place finish in the 4x100-meter relay to advance to the Saturday’s final.

STAT OF THE MEET
1 – Number of meets it took for Zaza to break the program javelin throw record.

TOP QUOTE
Michael Ford on the team’s performance…
“A long Texas Relays today, but I thought the kids performed well. I was happy to see our 4x1 women make the finals, and unfortunately the men came up just short. I thought the hurdle group did really well and Coach (Ben) Dalton did a great job with them. Our throwers, jumpers and DMR all had a really great showing today. Overall, we had a pretty good day, but we’ll start all over tomorrow with the women’s 4x1 and end with the 4x4 with some stuff mixed in the middle.”

Colin Pirtle | Communications Intern (Interim-T&F/XC)