No. 4 Baylor EQ Topped by No. 8 TCU in Tiebreaker

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 12 17:43:41 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 12, 2022

No. 4 Baylor EQ Topped by No. 8 TCU in Tiebreaker
Bears fall short in 1489-1481.5 raw-score decision

WACO, Texas – No. 4 Baylor equestrian (4-5, 2-3) was topped by No. 8 TCU (7-5, 1-3) in a raw-score tiebreaker Saturday afternoon at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

After tying 9-9 at the conclusion of the meet, the judges implemented the raw-score equivalency formula to break the tie, which determined that TCU had edged the Bears, 1489-1481.5. Scores were tight throughout the day, as eight rides were decided by a point or less.

To begin the day, BU took Fences 3-2 as Dominika Silvestri set the tone with a career-high 88 and earned Most Outstanding Performer honors in the process. Caroline Fuller (79) and Maddie Vorhies (66) also added points for the Bears.

Next up, Gabrielle Marty tallied a career-best 77 to tie her Horsemanship matchup, paving the way for a 2-2 overall tie in the Western event. Bella Rosa and Nadalee Vasquez put the points on the board for BU with career-high rides of 75 and 78, respectively. Vasquez was named MOP for her efforts, the first of her career.

Meanwhile in Flat, a strong handful of rides from the Frogs evened the meet at 7-7, as TCU scratched past the Bears 3-2. Emma Fletcher (74.5) and Fuller (76.5) secured the points for Baylor.

With all eyes on Reining, neither side flinched as four of the five rides were decided by a point or less, including one tie. BU and TCU ended up splitting in the event, 2-2, keeping the overall score deadlocked and forcing the tiebreaker. Jenna Meimerstorf and Andie Pratt contributed to the tally with a 71.5 and 72, while Madaline Callaway tied her matchup at 73.

Ultimately, the tiebreaker determined the Horned Frogs held the advantage at the end of the day.

NOTABLES
• Baylor moves to 4-5 against ranked opponents this season.
• The Bears have scored at least seven points in all nine of their meets this year.
• Four Reining rides were decided by a point or less, including one tie.
• Three Bears tallied career-highs in Horsemanship, including Gabrielle Marty (77), Bella Rosa (75) and Nadalee Vasquez (78).
• Marley Mainwaring tied her career-high with a 75.5 in Horsemanship.
• Vasquez collected her first-career Most Outstanding Performer recognition, while Dominika Silvestri notched her second-career MOP honor and first in Fences.
• Silvestri’s 88 was a career-best in Fences.
• Four Bears remain undefeated in Big 12 action: Emma Fletcher (Flat), Madaline Callaway (Reining), Jenna Meimerstorf (Reining) and Andie Pratt (Reining).
• Pratt won her fourth-straight point in Reining.
• Shelby Clausen matched her career-high with a 73 in Reining.

STAT OF THE MEET
8 – Eight rides were determined by a point or less.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“The girls were resilient. They were on fire today from the first ride in to the last ride out. It’s definitely disappointing, but we had some outstanding performances in all four events. In this second half of our season as we’re preparing for postseason, we just can’t afford to make some of the mistakes we made, especially in conference play. I know our team will bounce back, but they’ll have to do it pretty quickly to turn around and take on South Carolina.”

Jumping Seat junior Dominika Silvestri
On competing at home for the first time this spring…
“It felt really good to be back at home. Our team dynamic has been phenomenal this year. We were really excited to be back at home after two tough losses against No. 1 and No. 2. Our confidence is at a high. We put up a huge fight, but TCU just gave us a run for our money.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 4 Baylor (4-5, 2-3) hosts South Carolina (0-7) for Senior Day at the Willis Family Equestrian Center on Friday, Feb. 18, at 11 a.m. CT.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)