No. 3 Baylor MT Wins 4-2 Over No. 7 Virginia, Sets Attendance Record

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 12 19:10:51 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 12, 2022

No. 3 Baylor MT Wins 4-2 Over No. 7 Virginia, Sets Attendance Record
Bears had a record-breaking indoor crowd for the win over the Cavaliers
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The No. 3 Baylor men’s tennis team had their second top-10 win of the week with the 4-2 victory over No. 7 Virginia on Saturday afternoon. There were a record-setting 431 fans at the match in the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

The Bears improve their record to 11-0 and are 2-0 this season against ranked opponents. BU has won four out of the last five matches against the Wahoos.

Starting the match off right in doubles, two pairings finished nearly simultaneously to clinch the doubles point. Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek won 6-4 on court three over Jeffery van der Schulenburg/Jackson Allen just before Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi and Matias Soto were victorious over No. 22-ranked pairing Chris Rodesch/William Woodall, 7-5, on court two. Bears Finn Bass and Sven Lah were leading 5-4 over Cavaliers Inaki Montez de la Torre/Ryan Goetz on court one when the clincher finished.

On the singles side, Grassi Mazzuchi was the first to victory once again, this time with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Alexander Kiefer on court six. Court five finished next with Bass winning 6-3, 7-5 over Allen. Court four had Marko Miladinović’s first loss in the green and gold as he was bested by No. 82 van der Schulenburg at 6-3, 6-3.

On the front half of the courts, things were heating up. Court two was the next to finish, with No. 17 Rodesch besting Soto at 7-6(5), 6-3. Boitan and Lah were in a race to the finish on courts one and three, respectively, with the score at 3-2 in the Bears’ favor. No. 123 Lah clinched the match with the 7-5, 0-6, 6-1 win over No. 29 Goetz. Boitan was tied with No. 30 Montes de la Torre at 4-6, 6-6 and playing a tiebreaker when Lah clinched.

Grassi Mazzuchi improves to 9-0, Bass to 8-1 and Lah to 6-1 while Boitan remains 8-0 with the unfinished result against UVA. Miladinović saw his first loss as a Bear and is now 4-1, while Soto falls to 5-1.

Virginia is also headed to the ITA Indoor Championships in Seattle, Washington, which will take place from Feb. 18-21. Draws have not yet been set. The participants are Ohio State, Tennessee, Baylor, TCU, Florida, Wake Forest, Virginia, Stanford, Georgia, Kentucky, USC, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Texas and Ole Miss, all currently ranked No. 1-15 in the ITA, in order as listed, with Washington playing and serving as host.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Michael Woodson
“We were really able to learn from our frustrations that came out yesterday. When you play a team like Virginia at home with a great crowd, we’re going to raise our level a little bit. Our energy, our focus, our intensity is going to be higher. We played with great discipline to start the match. We made them play to the end of the set, we didn’t let ourselves get frustrated and we didn’t make bad decisions. It carried over into singles, some of those tight sets, coming back from breaks really served us well today. The crowd makes a difference in these matches. Our guys love playing in front of big crowds. I’m so appreciative of everyone that came; the students, tennis alums, basketball fans – I hope they enjoyed it as much as we do. It was a spectacular event. Win or lose we are just thankful for the crowd and happy to be at home.”

QUOTABLE – Senior Sven Lah
“I felt great in the third set, especially in the beginning. I tried to lock it in, it’s always important to get ahead if you can early in a set. That kind of momentum, if you can keep it, helps. So, that started rolling. I had four great points, up 4-0, thought I could’ve finished the set 6-0 but it was a good effort. Adrian stuck with me - he was battling from what I saw. It always helps to have someone else on the courts with you. I felt the momentum starting to go my way and I felt like I used it. The fans did their job, they were amazing. If we can get as many people out here every time, I think we’re going to be in a great place. All the credit to them for supporting us throughout the match.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

TENNIS RESULTS
#3 Baylor (4) vs. #7 Virginia (2)
Waco, Texas – Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. Adrian Boitan (BU) vs. #30 Inaki Montes de la Torre (UVA) 4-6, 6-6(2-5) unfinished
2. #17 Chris Rodesch (UVA) def. Matias Soto (BU) 7-6(5), 6-3
3. #123 Sven Lah (BU) def. #29 Ryan Goetz (UVA) 7-5, 0-6, 6-1
4. #82 Jeffrey van der Schulenburg (UVA) def. Marko Miladinović (BU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Finn Bass (BU) def. Jackson Allen (UVA) 7-5, 6-0
6. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Alexander Kiefer (UVA) 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4, 2, 3

DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) vs. Inaki Montes de la Torre/Ryan Goetz (UVA) 5-4 unfinished
2. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) def. #22 Chris Rodesch/William Woodall (UVA) 7-5
3. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek (BU) def. Jeffery van der Schulenburg/Jackson Allen (UVA) 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)