Baylor Softball Takes Down Stephen F. Austin, 8-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 26 22:16:26 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 26, 2022

Baylor Softball Takes Down Stephen F. Austin, 8-1
Binford homers as the Bears defeat the Lumberjacks for the second time this season
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball took down Stephen F. Austin, 8-1, Tuesday night at Getterman Stadium, its second win over the Lumberjacks this season.

Coming out strong, Aliyah Binford sat down Stephen F. Austin in order to begin the game before blasting a two-run shot over the wall in left field to give the Bears the 2-0 lead.

With the lead, Binford tossed another three-up, three-down inning before Baylor added three more runs in the third. Kaci West led off the inning with a double to centerfield before Zadie LaValley singled and McKenzie Wilson walked to load the bases. Back-to-back singles from Emily Hott and Binford brought home three more runs.

The Lumberjacks got a run back in the top of the fourth, but the Bears quickly answered with a run of their own off of a single from West.

Tacking on two more in the sixth, Baylor loaded the bases with two outs after two-straight walks and a single from Binford. Bower was then walked, picking up an RBI, before Ana Watson singled to score Hott.

In relief, Maren Judisch pitched 2.0 innings, striking out a batter in the top of the seventh and sitting the side down in order to close out the midweek victory for the Bears.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Aliyah Binford hit her third home run of the season
  *   Binford went 3-for-4 at the plate
  *   Zadie LaValley recorded a hit and stole her first base this season
  *   Emily Hott recorded two RBI
  *   Josie Bower was hit by her 10th pitch this season
  *   McKenzie Wilson drew three walks and scored three runs, while stealing her 24th base this season
  *   Kaci West was 2-for-4 with a double
  *   Binford pitched 5.0 innings, striking out five
  *   Maren Judisch struck out one in 2.0 innings of work

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on confidence from midweeks…
“Huge. It is still important that we play well in these midweeks heading into Big 12 because you’re going to carry whatever momentum you have or lack thereof into that Friday game. That is always a little bit scary, because sometimes you try your lines your bench out a little bit and knock out some rust a little, we didn't do that tonight obviously. We did move Emily Hott to first base, we’re trying to strengthen our offense and it paid off tonight. We wanted to look at some other options to also get Taylor Strain in the game. To answer your question, yes, we played well tonight.”

Aliyah on her homerun tonight…
"It felt great. I told myself I needed to stop swinging at the rise ball, but I was like, ‘I'm just going to swing at it one more time for the one time,' and it went over and I was proud to hit it for my team."

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>