Baylor Baseball Erases Five-Run Deficit to Defeat UIW, 8-7

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 26 23:39:48 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 26, 2022

Baylor BSB Erases Five-Run Deficit to Defeat UIW, 8-7
Pineda’s bases-clearing double completes the comeback as Bears score six runs in final two innings

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (21-20) erased a five-run deficit to defeat Incarnate Word (16-21), 8-7, Tuesday night at Baylor Ballpark.

Jack Pineda’s three-run double in the eighth inning completed the comeback, as BU scored six unanswered runs in the seventh and eighth innings. Hambleton Oliver and Matt Voelker combined to throw three scoreless frames and struck out three to see out the win.

UIW struck early with a two-run home run in the top of the first, but the Bears were able to tie it up with single runs in both the second and third. Alex Gonzales scored Jared McKenzie with an RBI groundout, then Kyle Nevin drove in Tre Richardson with a double to the left-center gap to tie it.

However, the Cardinals retook the lead with a run in the fourth and extended their advantage with a grand slam in the sixth, making it 7-2. Once Baylor chased UIW starter Carson Rollins in the seventh, the comeback was on as Pineda singled in a run and McKenzie plated two with a double, cutting the lead to 7-5.

Three more runs including the go-ahead tally came across on Pineda’s bases-clearing double in the bottom of the eighth, marking Baylor’s largest come-from-behind victory since April 6, 2021, when the Bears also erased a five-run deficit against UT Arlington.

NOTES
• Baylor improved to 5-0 all-time against Incarnate Word, including a 2-0 mark under seventh-year head coach Steve Rodriguez.
• BU has won each of the last four meetings against UIW by one run.
• The Bears erased a five-run deficit in a win for the first time since April 6, 2021 vs. UT Arlington.
• Baylor extended its streak to 20 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• BU has tallied two or more XBH in nine of its last 10 games.
• The Bears added to their Big 12-best total of 44 double plays on the year with another twin killing in the win over UIW.
• Baylor tallied double-digit hits for the 16th time in 2022. The Bears are 13-3 in games when out-hitting their opponent.
• BU pitchers struck out 10 batters for the 10th time this season.
• Kyle Nevin extended his on-base streak to 21 games and his hitting streak to 10 games.
• Jack Pineda tallied his 15th multi-hit effort and eighth multi-RBI game of 2022.
• Pineda tied his career high with a season-best four RBIs.
• Tre Richardson collected his 14th multi-hit outing of the year.
• Jared McKenzie drove in a pair of runs for his 10th multi-RBI performance of the season.
• Chandler Freeman made his first-career start and tied a career high with three strikeouts.
• Matt Voelker earned his third win of the season.

STAT OF THE GAME
6 – Baylor scored six unanswered runs to erase a five-run deficit for its largest comeback victory since April 6, 2021 vs. UT Arlington.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On the team’s energy in the win…
“That was a big thing. We had some frustrating moments where we couldn’t get guys in from third base with less than two outs. We couldn’t make contact in different spots. But the dugout, they did a great job. The did a really great job just staying in it. Once again, sometimes energy can kind of push you through that barrier and tonight, I think it did.”

Junior INF Jack Pineda
On the win…
“It felt good. The last couple of days have been hard. I was talking to [Baylor radio announcer] Derek [Smith] about the same thing, just keeping the faith on the team. We’ve had a lot of trials and tribulations early, but just to keep going and know that we’re going to get our chance. Some guys stepped up on the mound, and we were able to put together some good at-bats.”

Sophomore INF Tre Richardson
On what this win means…
“It felt great, especially after the way that last weekend went. That wasn’t anything we wanted, obviously. To come out and win this ballgame and win it the way that we did was just a big sigh of relief. Honestly, UIW played their tails off. They gave us their best with pitching changes and everything. The fact that we were able to persevere, especially after a tough start at the beginning of the game and a grand slam, to not give up at the end, that was good.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (21-20, 4-11) hosts No. 9 Texas Tech (29-15, 9-6) for a three-game series, beginning Friday, April 29 at 6:30 p.m. CT at Baylor Ballpark.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)