No. 4 Baylor MT Defeats Texas Tech, 4-3

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 16 23:19:29 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 16, 2022

No. 4 Baylor MT Defeats Texas Tech, 4-3
Bears close out conference play with a win in Lubbock
contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

LUBBOCK, Texas – The No. 4-ranked Baylor men’s tennis team finalized the conference slate with a 4-3 win over No. 33 Texas Tech in Lubbock on Saturday night.

The Bears (22-3, 4-1 Big 12) finished out the Big 12 schedule with the win over the Red Raiders (14-10, 2-3 Big 12).

THE RUNDOWN
Starting off hot and strong, the Bears clinched the doubles point on courts two and three, respectively. Getting the win first was court two with No. 18-ranked Matias Soto and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi. They defeated Dimitrios Azoidis and Reed Collier, 6-2, to start the Bears off on the right foot. Clinching the point was Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek on court three, winning 6-2 over Francisco Vittar and Olle Wallin. Going unfinished were No. 5-ranked Finn Bass and Sven Lah against Isaac Arevalo and Piotr Pawlak, at 4-4.

In singles, Grassi Mazzuchi continued his winning ways, taking a swift 6-1, 6-0 match on court six over Vittar. Right behind him, No. 71 Lah bested Wallin, 6-0, 6-3, on court three. Closing out the first three singles matches was No. 3 Boitan on the top court, winning 7-5, 6-3 over Collier.

On court two, No. 102 Arevalo took the match over No. 39 Soto, 6-1, 7-5, to give TTU their first point of the match. On court four, Azoidis bested No. 123 Bass, 6-7(3), 6-3, 10-5. Finishing out the match and giving the Red Raiders their third point was Franco Ribero over No. 78 Paroulek, 6-7(5), 6-4, 10-8.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Michael Woodson
“Good to get the win today, it’s never easy to win in Lubbock with the altitude, environment. They’re so comfortable here and they play comfortable here. It was good to come out strong and take a good doubles point. We were ready to go early and kind of got on them, and ran away with a few sets there in the singles. We were able to dig out a couple of tiebreakers there on court five which helped swing the momentum our way and we were able to close three singles matches pretty quickly to get to four [points]. The guys did their part to relieve pressure and to allow us to get to four. After that, Texas Tech kept playing hard and were able to close out three singles matches, and the score reflects a little differently than the match went. Anytime you can win here in Lubbock you take it and run. I feel really good about where we’re at going into the Big 12 Tournament.”

NEXT UP
The Bears will play two non-conference matches at the Hurd Tennis Center on April 19-20, against Midwestern State and UT Tyler, both at 2 p.m., respectively.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

TENNIS RESULTS
#4 Baylor (4) vs. #33 Texas Tech (3)
Lubbock, Texas – McLeod Tennis Center
Big 12 Conference Match
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. #3 Adrian Boitan (BU) def. Reed Collier (TTU) 7-5, 6-3
2. #102 Isaac Arevalo (TTU) def. #39 Matias Soto (BU) 6-1, 7-5
3. #71 Sven Lah (BU) def. Olle Wallin (TTU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Dimitrios Azoidis (TTU) def. #123 Finn Bass 6-7(3), 6-3, 10-5
5. Franco Ribero (TTU) def. #78 Tadeas Paroulek (BU) 6-7(5), 6-4, 10-8
6. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Francisco Vittar (TTU) 6-1, 6-0

Order of finish: 6, 3, 1, 2, 4, 5
DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. Isaac Arevalo/Piotr Pawlak (TTU) vs. #5 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) 4-4 unfinished
2. #18 Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) def. Dimitrios Azoidis/Reed Collier (TTU) 6-2
3. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek (BU) def. Francisco Vittar/Olle Wallin (TTU) 6-2

Order of finish: 2, 3

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)