No. 21 Baylor WT Drops Hard-Fought Match to No. 4 Texas

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 16 18:40:36 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 16, 2022

No. 21 Baylor WT Drops Hard-Fought Match to No. 4 Texas
Bears become first Big 12 school to clinch doubles point vs. the Longhorns
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor women’s tennis dropped a hard-fought match to No. 4 Texas, 4-3, on Senior Day at Hurd Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.

Baylor stormed out to a 1-0 lead thanks to a strong showing in doubles. No. 4 Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero topped No. 13 Peyton Stearns and Allura Zamarripa, 6-3. That marked the second top-15 win for Krywoj and Herrero as the duo previously defeated No. 4 Ivana and Carmen Corley of Oklahoma (March 25).

While freshmen Ana Carmen Zamburek and Anita Sahdiieva were putting up a fight on court two, the Bears clinched the doubles point on court three with the 6-4 win over Sabina Zeynalova and Vivian Ovrootsky.

Texas then strung together three-straight singles wins to take a 3-1 lead. However, freshman Alina Shcherbinina kept the Bears in it with her 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 win over No. 113 Charlotte Chavatipon.

Meanwhile, Sahdiieva was battling on court five but fell to Ovrootsky, 6-2, 1-6, 4-6. That clinched the match for the Longhorns, but the teams continued to play out the match.

On court two, Herrero faced No. 49 Kylie Collins. Because the match was clinched by the time they reached the third set, the two played a 10-point tiebreaker. Herrero prevailed, 7-6(4), 5-7, 1-0 (10-5).

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero picked up their fifth ranked win of the season.
  *   Baylor recorded its 17th doubles win of the season.
  *   Texas has won every doubles point in Big 12 play until Saturday afternoon.
  *   Herrero picked up a ranked win vs. No. 49 Kylie Collins.
  *   Alina Shcherbinina recorded a ranked win over No. 113 Charlotte Chavatipon.

QUOTE
Joey Scrivano on the match…
“Credit to the Texas team. They played the big points well. But we’re coming. Our team’s improving immensely. We’re training the right way. Sometimes you don’t see it on the court, but as a coach I’m seeing some huge growth. The biggest thing today was that our mindset was at a whole other level. When you have that type of mindset as an athlete, anything’s possible.”

UP NEXT
No. 21 Baylor heads to Fort Worth for the Big 12 Tennis Championship next week.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>