Baylor Baseball Loses Hard-Fought Battle at WVU, 7-5

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 10 16:42:00 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 10, 2022

Baylor BSB Loses Hard-Fought Battle at WVU, 7-5
Bears pull within one after trailing early, but unable to overcome Mountaineers

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Baylor baseball (16-15, 2-7) dropped a hard-fought battle at West Virginia (20-10, 5-1) on Sunday, 7-5, in the series finale at Monongalia County Ballpark in Morgantown, W.Va.

The Mountaineers jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead with four runs in the first and two in the second, but a five-run fourth inning brought the Bears back within a run. However, a late solo home run kept WVU ahead and helped to complete the weekend sweep of BU.

In the fourth, Baylor took advantage of some Mountaineers miscues, as three walks loaded the bases with one out. Chase Wehsener bounced into a fielder’s choice to score a run, then three-straight free passes in the form of a walk and two hit-by-pitches resulted in two more runs. Alex Gonzales delivered BU’s first hit of the game, a two-run single, to trim the deficit to 6-5.

Relievers Mason Marriott and Chandler Freeman combined to give the Bears three scoreless innings before WVU’s solo blast in the sixth off Hambleton Oliver made it 7-5. Adam Muirhead and Matt Voelker also put together strong outings with a combined 2.2 innings of hitless baseball.

However, Baylor was unable to spark a late comeback offensively, despite two ninth-inning walks as the Bears were swept for the first time in a Big 12 road series since March 26-28, 2021 at TCU.

NOTES
• Baylor has recorded an extra-base hit in each of its last 10 games.
• The Bears turned two more double plays on Sunday, increasing their total to 35 on the season for the nation’s second-best mark.
• Tre Richardson extended his on-base streak to a career-high 22 games.
• Jared McKenzie extended his on-base streak to 18 games, also a career high.
• McKenzie also holds a five-game hit streak.
• Jack Pineda extended his on-base streak to 14 games.
• Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo and Kyle Nevin each extended their on-base streaks to 11 games.
• Alex Gonzales tallied his first multi-RBI game of the season and tied a career-high with two runs driven in.
• Mason Marriott set a career high with three strikeouts in just two innings of relief.

STAT OF THE GAME
5 – Five runs scored on four walks, two hit-by-pitches and a two-run single in the fourth inning for the Bears.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On today’s game…
“We didn’t get started off real well falling behind 6-0, but I was really proud of how our guys stepped up and scored five runs in the fourth inning. Their pitcher was kind of effectively wild, but I thought our guys took some pretty good swings and just hit balls right at people. We had some chances later in the game, we just couldn’t get the hit. The biggest thing right now is we just have to make sure we continue to learn from some of the mistakes we’re making on the mound and at the plate. For the most part, when you’re young you need to continue to learn and that’s the biggest thing right now.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (16-15) finishes out its road stretch with a Tuesday night contest at No. 10 Texas State (24-9) on April 12. First pitched is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)