No. 21 Baylor WT Prevails over No. 25 Kansas, 4-3

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 10 16:32:30 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 10, 2022

No. 21 Baylor WT Prevails over No. 25 Kansas, 4-3
Bears battled to claim second top-25 win of the season
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – The No. 21 Baylor women’s tennis team hosted a Sunday afternoon classic as the Bears downed No. 25 Kansas, 4-3, at the Hurd Tennis Center.

In a match that lasted nearly five hours, the decision came down to court six where Paula Barañano was locked in a duel with Tiffany Lagarde. Barañano won the first set in a tiebreaker, but Lagarde took the second in another tiebreaker.

Up 5-3 in the third set, Barañano watched as Lagarde’s volley soared out of bounds and then the junior Bear fell to the ground as her teammates sprinted out onto the court to celebrate Baylor’s second top-25 win of the season.

The Bears took an early 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. The freshmen duo of Ana Carmen Zamburek and Anita Sahdiieva took their match, 6-3, over Sonia Smagina and Carmen Roxana Manu on court two. Alina Shcherbinina and Isabella Harvison clinched the doubles point with their 6-3 win over Julie Deming and Raphaelle Lacasse on court three.

Baylor’s lead quickly doubled as Sahdiieva wasn’t messing around on court five. She won her 14th match of the season, 6-1, 6-0, over Mariana Manyoma-Velasquez.

Kansas fought back to tie things up at 2-2 with wins on courts four and two.

Mel Krywoj put the Bears back in the lead with her 6-4, 6-4 win over Sonia Smagina on court three.

Harvison fought to a 12-10 tiebreaker win in her second set to force a third set on court one against No. 62 Titova. However, Titova prevailed, 7-5 6-7 (10-12), 6-3, to force the winner-take-all match on court six.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor moved to 6-2 in conference play with the win.
  *   The Bears landed their second top-25 win of the season.
  *   Paula Barañano won her 16th match of the season. She is now 12-3 on court six.
  *   Anita Sahdiieva is 14-5 this season and picked up her 10th win on court five.

QUOTE
Joey Scrivano on the match…
“We knew it was going to be a tough match. It always is when we play the Jayhawks. The conditions today were an added variable that the athletes had to deal with. I felt like our team handled it very well. They compensated and adjusted to the conditions, and this is why you practice in wind so you can be prepared for situations like this.”

Paula Barañano on her match…
“It was a team win. We started with a tough doubles point. The girls did amazing. Everybody was in a fight. I’m proud of my team. It came down to me, but I fought until the end because I love my girls. Very proud.

UP NEXT
No. 21 Baylor hosts Texas at 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 16 for Senior Day.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>