Baylor EQ’s Team Gold Defeats Team Green in Scrimmage

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Sep 18 16:17:34 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 18, 2021

EQ’s Team Gold Defeats Team Green in Scrimmage
Madaline Callaway, Caroline Fuller, Elsie Naruszewicz and Maddie Vorhies named MOPs

WACO, Texas – No. 8 Baylor equestrian hosted its annual Green & Gold scrimmage Saturday morning at the Willis Family Equestrian Center, with Team Gold defeating Team Green, 13-8.

“We’re really excited to have the opportunity to have this scrimmage and start our season on time,” head coach Casie Maxwell said. “All in all, a really great team effort. Very minimal errors today. A great place to start and build from as we head on the road next week.”

The scrimmage comes after a 2020-21 season that was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. All meets were held in the spring, as the Bears went on to make a NCEA semifinals appearance despite a 3-8 record.

Madaline Callaway (Reining), Caroline Fuller (Fences), Elsie Naruszewicz (Horsemanship) and Maddie Vorhies (Flat) were each named Most Outstanding Performers in their respective events.

“I just wanted to have a nice, clean and bold round to start the year with,” Fuller said. “I think everything really went according to plan. It felt great to have a solid first ride going into the rest of the season.”

Newcomers Mackenzie Altheimer, Molly Canfield, Lauren Graves, Delaney Hoffman, Gianna Pozzi, Olivia Reiskin, Tatum Richey, Molly Roberts, Caitlyn Upham, Nadalee Vasquez and Annie Vorhies all saw their first action as Bears.

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor officially opens the regular season next week at No. 10 UT Martin with a 10 a.m. meet on Friday, Sept. 24, at the Ned McWherter Agricultural Pavilion.

“No one on our roster has ever been to UT Martin, but we’re well prepared,” Maxwell said. “We put some really tough horses in our scrimmage to prepare for going on the road. This helps shake out some of the nerves. We’re just excited to be competing a full season again.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)