No. 12 Baylor VB Shuts Out McNeese

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Sep 18 17:28:11 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 18, 2021

No. 12 VB Shuts Out McNeese
The Bears have now kept their opponent under 20 points in nine-straight sets.
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas. – No. 12 Baylor volleyball made quick work of the McNeese squad in the final match of the Baylor Classic on Saturday, sweeping them 3-0 in the Ferrell Center. It was the fourth-straight win for the Bears and kept them at a perfect 2-0 at home.

Baylor (5-3) cruised past McNeese (5-5) in straight-sets at 25-16, 25-14, and 25-16. The Bears have now held their opponents under 20 points in three-straight matches or nine-straight sets. It started with Florida, then Rice, and now the Cowgirls.

The Bears took the opportunity to play a plethora of players, with several student-athletes getting their first taste of playing time in their young careers or on the season. Ava Grace Haggard, AJ Koele, Faith Lynch, and Giselle Vogel were among them.

Ryan McGuyre’s squad seems to be firing on all cylinders as they head into Conference play next week.

How It Happened
SET ONE
McNeese scored the first point, but Baylor soon let them know they wouldn’t stay ahead long. The Bears took over and Emily Van Slate entered the match for the first time this season. The Bears scored five quick points, not allowing but just one point in the stretch. Yossiana Pressley helped make the first set quick and efficient with her kills and her serving, and Avery Skinner contributed kills as well. BU finished off the set at 25-16 with four team blocks and 10 kills and digs.

SET TWO
The Bears put in Andressa Parise and she made an immediate impact as she scored Baylor’s first point on a kill. Lauren Harrison delivered an ace just after and the Bears traded some points with McNeese through the beginning of the set. Baylor went on a six-point run that was cut short at 12-6, but kills from Marieke van der Mark and Pressley kept them rolling. Shanel Bramschreiber delivered an ace, making it 18-12. McNeese would only score two more points in the set as errors from the Cowgirls propelled the Bears forward to the set point. The set ended at 25-14 with blocks from van der Mark and Pressley as well as kills from the both of them and Harrison.

SET THREE
Baylor started the set putting up five unanswered points, prompting a McNeese timeout. Harrison had two aces in that stretch as well as a kill by Pressley. Baylor held the Cowgirls to single-digit points all the way until Baylor had 18 of their own. Cassie Davis entered the match and had a kill while many of Baylor’s points were coming from attack errors and bad sets by the Cowgirls. The Bears had a successful challenge at 21-12 and ended the set and the match on a kill by Lauren Harrison at 25-16.

BEAR BITES

  *   The Bears have now kept their opponent to under 20 points for nine-straight sets.
  *   Baylor has had an attack percentage above .300 for three-straight matches now.
  *   BU held McNeese to a negative attack percentage, the first time they’ve done that to an opponent this season.
  *   They are now a perfect 2-0 at home this season.
  *   Baylor has won four-straight matches.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Ryan McGuyre
“I love the energy out there. The challenge is to hold on and know one way to play. You see how much the girls love each other as we got to give some other people some playing time. There’s still a sharpness to our game we want to be stronger in, but I think our blocking has really bailed us out. We’ve done a good job of being low-error, but I think we could be more terminal. Blocks have extended a lot of runs for us. We do kind of know what we’re going to do as we head into Conference. Overall I love how they love each other and support each other, love being low-error, love the blocking.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVball.

Up Next
The Bears hit the road once again, this time heading to Kansas to take on K-State in back-to-back matches on Sept. 25 and 26 in Bramlage Coliseum.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)