Baylor Cross Country: Snyder, Jacobs Lead Bears at ACU

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Sep 18 12:57:20 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 18, 2021

Baylor Cross Country: Snyder, Jacobs Lead Bears at ACU
All five of women’s scoring runners placed in the top 15

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

WACO, Texas – All five of the women’s scoring runners placed in the top 15, and Drew Snyder finished fourth to lead the men’s team as Baylor cross country finished second and third, respectively at the ACU Naimadu Classic Saturday at the ACU XC Course in Abilene, Texas.

Making her 2021 season debut, sophomore Lily Jacobs led the women’s team with a fifth-place finish in a time of 23:08.8. Originally scheduled as a 6,000-meter race, the course ended up totaling 6.2K. Senior Celia Holmes followed Jacobs in sixth at 23:12.3, senior Mazie Larsen finished 10th with a time of 23:41.9, junior Chloe Gangnath took 14th at 23:55.1, and freshman Hayden Gold rounded out the Bears’ scoring in 15th at 23:58.0. Baylor finished as the runner-up as a team with 48 points.

“The women had a reasonably good pack,” head cross country coach David Barnett said. “Some people ran well, and some people could have done better, but that’s part of being the first 6,000-meter race of the year. They actually had to run a little bit longer because they ran the wrong course. All things considered, they competed well. We’re in a pretty heavy training block right now, so I think in a couple weeks we’ll be right where we want to be.”

On the men’s side, freshman Drew Snyder led the way in fourth place with an 8K time of 25:07.9. Freshman Chris Martinez placed 12th with a time of 26:09.4, followed by senior Philip Roxas in 17th (26:26.9), senior Alec Atteberry in 30th (27:22.8) and sophomore Chuey Hernandez in 34th (27:46.4). The Bears placed third overall as a team with 90 points.

“Several of the men are stepping up in distance to run 8,000 meters,” Barnett said. “I think it was good for them to see what the race was about. For a lot of them, it was their first race ever at this distance. Especially Drew Snyder leading the way, he did awesome. I’m looking forward to getting our top five all together. We’ll have a pretty good group.”

Baylor will run a limited squad next weekend at the Texas A&M Invitational (Sept. 25) before gearing up for the Gans Creek Classic in Columbia, Mo., on Oct. 1.

“Whatever race we’re running in, we’re just going to make sure we’re competing well,” Barnett said. “The times are always going to be a little different, the courses are going to be different, but head-to-head competition is something we can control every time we go out there. Just making the most of our opportunities and beating the people we’re capable of beating matters to me.”

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>