Baylor XC: Hodge, Jacobs Lead Bears at Big 12 Championship

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 29 14:31:34 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 29, 2021

Baylor XC: Hodge, Jacobs Lead Bears at Big 12 Championship
Men’s and women’s teams finished sixth and seventh, respectively

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

WACO, Texas – Ryan Hodge and Lily Jacobs led the way as the Baylor men’s and women’s cross country teams finished sixth and seventh, respectively, Friday at the Big 12 Championship at the Oklahoma State XC Course in Stillwater, Okla.

“We had some good things happen across the board,” head cross country coach David Barnett said. “As a team, we would have liked to place higher, but I think by and large we relied on some young folks that stepped up and did their best. Overall, I was pleased with the effort of both teams. We had a few missed opportunities in the middle of the race that we can correct moving forward, but overall we had some good things happen.”

Hodge set the pace for the men’s team with a 22nd-place finish, recording an 8K time of 25:29.2. Ryan Day followed in 37th place with a time of 26:13.8, Drew Snyder placed 50th with a time of 26:49.0, Philip Roxas took 60th with a time of 27:14.9, and Christopher Martinez finished 69th with a time of 27:41.1. As a team, the men recorded 192 points, finishing ahead of Texas Tech, Oklahoma and TCU.

“As a whole, the men did pretty well,” Barnett said. “Hodge had a big day obviously, and he was able to mix it up with some of the top guys in the conference. Ryan Day was super consistent for us. Drew Snyder was a little beat up coming into the weekend, but he toughed it out. On the back end, we had some guys that filled the void and did the best they could. Of course, we want the team finish to be higher moving forward, but we had some good things happen.”

On the women’s side, Jacobs was the first to finish with a 6K time of 22:44.1, good for 33rd place. Ellie Friesen was right behind in 37th, recording a time of 22:58.5. Taylor Whitfield was the third-best finisher in her debut for the Bears, registering a personal-best time of 23:38.7 to place 51st. Celia Holmes finished 57th with a time of 23:54.5, and Chloe Gangnath placed 58th with a time of 24:01.5. The women scored 208 points and finished ahead of Texas Tech, OU and TCU.

“The women’s race went out really slow, and I think we missed the move potentially in some areas,” Barnett said. “By and large, people ran really good races. Taylor obviously stepped up as a true freshman and helped us fill the void. The women’s best race is still ahead of us. I think we have a lot left in us. I think at regionals, you’ll see continued improvement from them.”

With Big 12s in the books, Baylor now shifts its focus to hosting the NCAA South Central Regional on Nov. 12 at Cottonwood Creek Golf Course in Waco.

“We’re getting fit and getting sharp, we just have to race a little bit smarter,” Barnett said. “Wherever we want to finish, we have to put ourselves in that kind of position early on. We can’t just wait until the end of the race, hoping things come together. We have to make things happen.”

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>