No. 11 Baylor VB Ready for West Virginia Series

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 21 19:36:48 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 21, 2021

No. 11 VB Ready for West Virginia Series
Bears face the Mountaineers for back-to-back matches
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – No. 11 Baylor volleyball is on the road again, taking on West Virginia on Friday (5 p.m. CT) and Saturday (4 p.m. CT) at the WVU Coliseum.

The Bears (11-4, 5-1 Big 12) take on the Mountaineers (13-4, 3-3 Big 12) after a series sweep of Kansas that flipped the all-time series leader to Baylor. The Bears are on a four-match winning streak and look to continue that against WVU. BU leads the all-time series with West Virginia, 18-3, while also leading the series in Morgantown, 7-1.

Baylor has produced a hitting percentage of .300 percent or higher in nine of its 15 matches this season, and Yossiana Pressley was a big factor in making sure the previous two matches were part of that. The senior recorded two 20-kill matches against Kansas, having 28 kills and 11 digs in the second match for her fifth double-double of the season. Her performances earned her the second Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week accolade of the fall, her 21st weekly award from the Conference overall.

The Mountaineers come into the match after a split-decision series with Kansas State, falling in four sets in the first match and sweeping them in the second. WVU is led by Adrian Ell in kills with 181 so far this season, and Lacey Zerwas leads them in assists with 593. Their lead blocker is Briana Lynch who has 64.

Baylor’s blocks per set (2.95) is top-10 in the country, sitting at No. 6 overall, and leading the Conference. Kara McGhee is No. 27 in the NCAA for blocks per set with 1.35, and leads the team as well. The BU squad is versatile, with multiple different players leading the team in total blocks across matches.

BEAR BITES

  *   Kara McGhee knows WVU’s Emmy Ogogor, both being from San Antonio.
  *   Baylor is 18-3 all-time against West Virginia and leads the series in Morgantown, 7-1.
  *   Yossiana Pressley earned her 21st Big 12 weekly accolade, her 17th Offensive Player of the Week honor.
  *   The Bears are 71-31 under Ryan McGuyre in Big 12 matches and 213-393 in conference play overall.
  *   BU is on a four-match winning streak and has won 10 out of the last 11 matches.
  *   Baylor has had a hitting percentage of .300 or more in nine of its 15 matches.

QUOTABLE – Head coach Ryan McGuyre
“We have to take care of business each week. If we keep doing that, that’s further down the track that we’re going to get. As we head into the end of October and early November, we have to make sure that our strides are moving us further.”

QUOTABLE – Outside hitter Yossiana Pressley
“I don’t think we’ve fully hit our stride. We have potential, and it’s going to take a little bit longer to get there, but I’m excited to see where this team goes and the firepower that we can bring up come December.”

Both matches with WVU will be streamed on ESPN+, with Saturday’s match beginning at 4 p.m. CT.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVball.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)