SOC Takes Down Iowa State, 2-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 21 22:42:10 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 21, 2021

SOC Takes Down Iowa State, 2-0
Mackenzie Anthony scores the Bears two goals
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Although both teams were scoreless in the first half, Mackenzie Anthony and the Bears net two goals in the second half to shutout Iowa State.

The Bears and Cyclones hung tight in the first half although Baylor out shot their opponent 9-3. Iowa State only had one shot on goal on the evening in the first half that goalkeeper Jennifer Wandt tracked and recorded the save.

Mackenzie Anthony came out to fight tonight taking four shots, all of them on goal. Of the four shots taken two resulted in goals. Anthony’s two goals are the first for her in Big 12 play, she previously netted six in preseason games.

The Bears started and ended the second half on high notes recording their first goal in the first two minutes of play and netting the second goal in the last two minutes of play. Baylor tallied seven corner kicks tonight while the Cyclones only had two.

Elizabeth Kooiman, Gabby Mueller, Taylor Moon, and Sarah Hornyak each attempted two shots with Kooiman recorded the only other shot on goal. Six total Bears played all 90 minutes of tonight’s game.

Baylor recorded their third straight shutout in conference play with Wandt picking up her 38th career shutout. This shutout moves her to second all-time in career shutouts in the Big 12 record books.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Jennifer Wandt picked up her 38th career shutout bringing her to second all-time in Big 12 record books. Also picked up her 52nd win
  *   Mackenzie Anthony netted two goals, her first of Big 12 play. She leads the Bears with eight
  *   Anthony’s first career game with two goals
  *   Elizabeth Kooiman added an assist, leading the Bears with five
  *   The Bears third straight shutout, seventh of the season
  *   Bears are third in the conference with 2.00 points per match
STAT OF THE GAME
3 – The number of consecutive shutouts Baylor has had in Big 12 play

TOP QUOTES
Paul Jobson on the game…
“It’s great to get back in the win column. We were just saying that three points don’t come easy in this conference. It doesn’t matter who you’re playing on either end of the table it’s always going to be a tough match. They earned every bit of that tonight. Iowa State did a great job defensively and I thought they had some chances. Jen (Wandt) came up big once or twice, we always say she doesn’t have to do a lot but she stays in the match and makes saves when she has to. I thought we were very good defensively. Mack (Mackenzie Anthony) scored two fantastic goals tonight.”

Mackenzie Anthony on the game…

“[Physicality] is nothing I’m not used to, definitely got some bruises, but I’ll be alright. We definitely did [put pressure on Iowa State], I feel like that’s something that is one of our strengths, is the ability to just push at them and scare them, in a way.”

Ally Henderson-Ashkinos on the midfield…

“Our midfield, we hype each other up about [our role], we tell each other ‘man, we have the hardest job on the field, and we should feel so proud about that.’ We get to just pour out for our team, we don’t get to score that much, we don’t get to assist that much, we don’t get to make those big plays that get put on NCAA and ESPN, we don’t get that all the time, but that’s OK, we’re totally fine with that. We have the culture of ‘it takes everybody,’ and it takes us winning a ball in the midfield to get it up to the forwards to score more, so yeah, we pride ourselves on being the unsung heroes. We’re happy about that, we love that.”

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>