Baylor WT’s Herrero Linana Advances to Finals

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sun Oct 17 18:41:02 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 17, 2021

WT’s Herrero Linana Advances to Finals
Alicia Herrero Linana to play in singles finals, doubles semifinals on Monday
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
FORT WORTH, Texas – Alicia Herrero Linana continued her superb play at the ITA Regionals, going 3-0 on Sunday to advance to the doubles semifinals and the singles finals.

The senior got her day started alongside her doubles partner, Mel Krywoj, with an 8-4 win over Houston’s Maria Dzemeshkevich and Azul Pedemont. A few hours later, the dynamic duo was at it again for the Bears with an 8-5 win over Rice’s Diae El Jardi and Federica Trevisan

In between those doubles matches, Herrero Linana punched her ticket to the singles finals as she defeated Malaika Rapolu of Texas, 6-3, 7-5. Herrero Linana will take on Kylie Collins from Texas on Monday. Collins defeated Krywoj, 6-2, 6-2, on Sunday to prevent the all-Baylor final.

Baylor’s second doubles tandem in Fort Worth – Paula Barañano and Ana Carmen Zamburek – battled to win the tiebreaker to clinch an 8-7(7) victory over Gianna Pielet and Mary Stoiana of Texas A&M. Later in the day, the Bears dropped an 8-5 contest to Jasmine Adams and Lucie Devier of North Texas.

The North Texas duo is who Herrero Linana and Krywoj will take on in Monday’s semifinal at 9 a.m. If the Bears win that match, they will play in the finals at noon. Sandwiched in between those matches will be Herrero Linana’s singles final.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   For the first time since 2016, Baylor has a player in the singles final round and a tandem in the doubles semifinals.
  *   Baylor was well represented in the ITA Regionals on Sunday with two student-athletes competing in the singles semifinals and a pair of doubles teams in the doubles quarterfinals.

TOP QUOTES
Joey Scrivano on the day…
“I thought the ladies did a great job of controlling themselves and playing looser and more aggressive. It’s fun to see our players just enjoying themselves on the court and not getting caught up with the distractions that come with competition. I’m really pleased with the way we are developing as a team and excited to watch Ali and Mel play tomorrow.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>