Baylor MT’s Boitan Invited to Play in Davis Cup

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 19 19:45:47 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – November 19, 2021

Baylor MT’s Boitan Invited to Play in Davis Cup
Junior will play for Team Romania in match against Peru
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis junior Adrian Boitan has been invited to join Team Romania for the Davis Cup.

“I’m really excited to be on the Davis Cup team and get this new experience,” said Boitan. “I’m sure I will learn a lot from the other guys and I’m excited to play my role, whichever would that be, on and off the court.”

The Constanta, Romania, native will play for his home country in the upcoming match against Peru. The duel is a part of the knock-outs of World Group I of the Davis Cup and will take place on Nov. 27-28 at the Sala Sporturilor Horia Demian in Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania.

“We are excited that the Romanian Federation is recognizing the progress Adrian is making on and off the court while studying here at Baylor,” said Baylor head coach Michael Woodson. “To have multiple student-athletes representing their countries in Davis Cup this year is truly special and is indicative of the great work our young men are putting into their games. We are fortunate to have the resources and support to be able to help train some of the best athletes in the world here at Baylor, and this honor for Adrian is indicative of that.”

Boitan has traveled back to Romania and will begin training with the team on Monday.

The Romanian team includes captain Gabriel Trifu, Marius Copil, Horia Tecau, Nicolae Frunza, Stefan Palosi and Boitan and is coached by Andrei Mlendea.

Boitan was invited by the team’s captain after seeing his results in pro tournaments, as well as last season’s ITA results.

Matias Soto, a senior for the Bears, also was named to a Davis Cup team earlier this season, playing for Team Chile in September. It was Soto’s second Davis Cup appearance for his native Chile.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)