No. 3 Baylor EQ Falls to No. 2 Auburn, 13-7

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 19 17:10:10 CST 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 19, 2021

No. 3 Baylor EQ Falls to No. 2 Auburn, 13-7
Bears drop seven matchups by two points or less

WACO, Texas – No. 3 Baylor equestrian (3-2, 1-1) suffered a 13-7 loss to No. 2 Auburn (5-2, 2-1) in an 2020-21 NCEA quarterfinal rematch Friday afternoon at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco.

BU held tough, but couldn’t quite overcome the Tigers strength as the Bears dropped seven head-to-head matchups by two points or less.

Auburn got out to a 6-4 lead at halftime following Fences and Reining. Caroline Fuller and Maddie Vorhies put points on the board for Baylor on the Jumping Seat side, while Madaline Callaway and Shelby Clausen collected tallies for the Western side.

Following the break, strong Horsemanship rides from Auburn made it difficult for the Bears to rally. Despite high totals from Elsie Naruszewicz and Alexis Rutledge, it was Marley Mainwaring who scored the lone point in the event for BU.

Meanwhile, Baylor fought hard in Flat, but points from Emma Fletcher and Savannah Hemby weren’t enough to overcome the lead that the Tigers had built. Auburn collected all four Most Outstanding Performer honors on the way to its fifth victory of the season.

NOTABLES
• Baylor is now 3-2 against ranked opponents this season.
• The Bears narrowly dropped seven matchups by two points or less.
• Caroline Fuller remained undefeated in Fences through five meets this season.
• Emma Fletcher improved to 2-0 this season in Flat.
• Alexis Rutledge made her collegiate debut with a 78 in Horsemanship.

STAT OF THE MEET
78 – Alexis Rutledge made her collegiate debut with a 78 in Horsemanship, while Elsie Naruszewicz totaled a season-high 78 in the same event.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet and making adjustments for Saturday…
“Our team as a whole rode outstanding today and they are in a great place. They are extremely confident and very attuned to what they need to do tomorrow, so I do not expect them to come out and ride any different. I really like where our team is at and I expect them to come out tomorrow and ride like Baylor. It has been paying off all semester. We’ll take this loss and swallow it and keep doing what we’re doing.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 3 Baylor (3-2, 1-1) returns to the Willis Family Equestrian Center Saturday morning to host No. 6 Fresno State (4-4, 1-1) at 11 a.m.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)