Baylor A&T: No. 1 A&T Gets Back to Winning Ways with Victory Over No. 8 Hawaii Pacific

Rhodes, Zach Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 27 20:14:32 CDT 2021

No. 1 A&T Gets Back to Winning Ways with Victory Over No. 8 Hawaii Pacific

The Bears defeated the Sharks 273.385-269.300 on Saturday

For more information contact: 919-247-7585, Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu

WACO, Texas — No. 1-ranked Baylor defeated No. 8-ranked Hawaii Pacific 273.385-269.300 on Saturday night at the Ferrell Center. The Bears (2-1) outscored the Sharks (1-1) in all events except for the team event.

To start, the Bears jumped out to a slight lead in the compulsory event, outscoring the Sharks 37.950-37.450.

Baylor kept their lead after the acro event, with event totals of 29.600-28.700. Baylor’s score consisted of a 9.900 in both the sixth and seventh elements.

In the pyramid event, the Bears started to pull away from the Sharks, earning an event total of 29.550 points compared to the Sharks 28.450 points. After the pyramid event, Baylor went into halftime outscoring Hawaii Pacific 97.100-94.600.

Baylor continued to push their lead in the toss event, earning an element score of 28.750. Hawaii Pacific scored an element total of 27.000.

Baylor’s biggest lead of the night was earned in the tumbling event, beating Hawaii Pacific 57.125-53.800. Both Kam Kitchens and Emily Tobin earned a score of 9.900 in the aerial and open tumbling events. Baylor went into the team event with a 182.975-175.400 lead.

The Bears were able to pull through with the 273.385-269.300 win after being outscored in the team event 93.900-90.410.

QUOTE FROM COACH MULKEY
“We had an okay first half. Our last event, the team event, was very uncharacteristic of us. Several uncharacteristic mistakes that we need to clean up. Tumbling event, they did well, that was all new tumbling that they learned today. I’m proud of the ones that got out there for the first time; all three of our individual passes were completely new and those were new passes to them. I’m proud of how high they scored. We just have to keep working and pull it together, see if we can get a good first and second half going on. We’ve got a lot of work to do, lots of room for improvement.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears head to East Texas Baptist University to take on the Tigers on Thursday, April 1, at 6 p.m. CT in Marshall, Texas. The team will return to the Ferrell Center to host rival Oregon, on Saturday, April 10, at 5 p.m. CT.
For updates on the program, follow @BaylorAcroTumb on Twitter and Instagram and @BaylorAcrobaticsandTumbling on Facebook.

Zach Rhodes | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
C: 919-247-7585 | O: 254-710-3784