Baylor SB Takes the Series with 8-2 Win at Texas Tech

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 27 20:36:43 CDT 2021

SB Takes the Series with 8-2 Win at Texas Tech
McGlaun, Ellis have big days at the plate
Media link: http://baylorbea.rs/BaylorSoftball
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
LUBBOCK, Texas – Baylor softball clinched their first Big 12 series win with an 8-2 victory over Texas Tech Saturday afternoon at Rocky Johnson Field in Lubbock.

The Lady Bears made a statement when they plated four runs in the top of the second inning. Josie Bower got things started when she got plunked, and then Taylor Ellis followed with a double off the center field wall to put runners in scoring position with no outs. Emily Hott then stepped to the plate and singled through the right side to plate a run before a single by Lou Gilbert to center field scored another. After a pitching change for the Red Raiders, Goose McGlaun roped a double that stayed just fair down the left field line to plate two more runs.

An inning later, Aliyah Binford led things off with a single through the left side before she scored off a sacrifice fly from Sydney Collazos.

Two more runs came across for BU in the fourth inning as Maddison Kettler singled to center field before McGlaun walked and Zadie LaValley singled to load the bases with no outs. Bower then recorded an RBI, and Ellis followed with an RBI single through the left side.

Texas Tech got on the board in the fifth inning, but Baylor got one of those runs back in the sixth thanks to a big swing from McGlaun. Her fourth home run of the season cleared the right field wall and put BU up by six.

Sidney Holman-Mansell got the start in the circle and moved to 6-0 on the year as she gave up two runs off five hits with six strikeouts through six innings of work. Maren Judisch came on in relief for the final frame and didn’t allow a run or a hit with a strikeout.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Taylor Ellis tied a career high with three hits on the day (Mississippi State, 2/17/18; UTA, 2/16/19).
  *   The leadoff batter reached base in each of the first four innings and then the sixth for BU.
  *   Goose McGlaun now has nine doubles on the season. That gives her 36 for her career, good for 10th all-time at Baylor.
  *   McGlaun hit her fourth homer of the season and 33rd of her career.
  *   Glenn Moore is five wins away from his 800th win at Baylor.

STAT OF THE DAY
4 – Number of Lady Bears who finished with multi-hit games (Lou Gilbert, Goose McGlaun, Taylor Ellis, Emily Hott)

TOP QUOTES
Baylor head coach Glenn Moore on the game…
“This was another great day, and it started in the circle.  Sidney (Holman-Mansell) was really good today. We also had a great day offensively with Taylor Ellis and Goose McGlaun leading the way combing for newly half our hits.  We know it’ll be a tough final day tomorrow as we go for the sweep, but we’ve certainly played well to this point.”

UP NEXT
The Lady Bears wrap up their Big 12 opening series in Lubbock with first pitch scheduled for noon on Sunday against Texas Tech.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_279797742]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>