No. 10 Baylor EQ Collects 13-7 Victory Over No. 5 Fresno State

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 27 18:40:13 CDT 2021

No. 10 EQ Collects 13-7 Victory Over No. 5 Fresno State
Bears finish third at Big 12 Championship following consolation round win

WACO, Texas – No. 4-seed Baylor equestrian won its consolation meet against No. 2-seed Fresno State as part of the Big 12 Championship on Saturday, 13-7, at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco.

BU (2-7) picked up its second win of the season behind an impressive all-around effort, taking all four events over the Bulldogs (5-5) en route to a season-high 13-point output.

The Bears started the day out hot with a 3-2 win in Horsemanship behind Gabrielle Marty’s top score of 151. Clara Johnson and Elsie Naruszewicz also won their points, scoring 147.5 and 141 respectively.

BU kept up its winning ways by collecting four of the five points in Fences. Rachael Davis collected her first win in the event this season, scoring a 175 (equivalent to a season-high 87.5) on Lui. Caroline Fuller, Gia Gulino and Savannah Hemby were the other point-winners for the Bears, helping BU to its first event win in Fences of the 2021 campaign.

Baylor led 7-3 heading into halftime and maintained its momentum following the break with a 3-2 win in Flat. Davis remained undefeated in the event, improving to 9-0 with a 130 total, and was later named the Championship’s Most Outstanding Performer for Flat. Gulino led the Bears with a 158 and Maddie Vorhies tallied her fourth win of the year with a 148.

In Reining, all three point-winners for BU scored above 135. Madaline Callaway and Andie Pratt each recorded 138 tallies, while Isabella Jacuzzi put down a 135 on Bob for her second win of the weekend. Callaway was also named the MOP for the Bears in Reining.

Following the win, Baylor will await its postseason fate for the NCEA National Championship, held April 15-17 in Waco.

NOTABLES
• Baylor earned its second win over a ranked opponent this season.
• BU registered a season-high 13 points on the day.
• BU won all four events for the first time this season.
• The Bears took the Fences event outright for the first time in the 2021 campaign.
• Rachael Davis improved to 9-0 on the year, remaining undefeated in the Flat.
• Davis also scored a season-high equivalent 175 in Fences, collecting her first win of the year in the event.
• Six Bears went undefeated on the weekend, collecting two wins in their respective events in Caroline Fuller and Savannah Hemby (Fences), Rachael Davis (Flat), Gabrielle Marty (Horsemanship), and Madaline Callaway and Isabella Jacuzzi (Reining).

STAT OF THE MEET
13 – Baylor registered a season-high 13 points in its win over Fresno State.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Casie Maxwell…
On today’s meet…
“Today was really good. It’s hard to come off of an opportunity to go to the Championship round and not making it through. We asked them to ride with as much heart and as much confidence as they did yesterday, and they did just that today. It’s a big win for us, I think we definitely earned it today.”

Sophomore Savannah Hemby…
On her success this season…
“It really means a lot because we’ve overcome a lot of adversity throughout the season. I just really had the mindset of pushing through and trying to put points up for my team. It really means a lot that it all came together in the end.”

Sophomore Gabrielle Marty…
On momentum from today’s win…
“It definitely gives our team a lot of confidence and our Horsemanship side especially. We’ve had a couple tough meets the past couple of weekends, but these past two days we had some really good rides. It gives us a lot of confidence heading into selections for seeding.”

WHAT'S NEXT
No. 10-ranked Baylor awaits its postseason fate for the 2021 NCEA National Championship, held April 15-17 at the Extraco Events Center in Waco.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)