Baylor Track & Field: Several Wins Highlight Baylor Invitational

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 3 22:24:15 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 3, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Several Wins Highlight Baylor Invitational
KC Lightfoot sets Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium record to win men’s pole vault at home opener

WACO, Texas – Several Baylor track & field student-athletes were victorious Saturday in the first home meet at Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium since 2019.

“It was nice to see fans in the stands, and it turned out to be a good day,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “It wasn’t perfect, but it was a really good day. Great teams, and our officials did a super job. I can’t tell you what an overwhelming feeling it is to be out here at home competing after two years not having a meet. We’re thankful.”

Alex Madlock got things going in a big way, becoming the ninth women’s long jumper in Baylor history to record a mark of 20+ feet en route to winning the event title. The senior from Bangs, Texas, is now the No. 8 performer in school history with her jump of 20-1.50 (6.13m). Caira Pettway placed third with a jump of 19-2 (5.84m).

KC Lightfoot set the Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium record to win the men’s pole vault, clearing a bar of 18-09.25 (5.72m) to win the event championship. It was a career day for freshman Ben Conacher, who finished third with a personal-best jump of 17-4.5 (5.30m).

The women’s 4x100-meter relay team of Caira Pettway, Demitra Carter, Sydney Washington and Mariah Ayers recorded the victory with a time of 44.36.

Celia Holmes took home the win in the women’s 1,500 meters with a personal-best time of 4:36.24. Madelaine Johnston finished as the runner-up with a time of 4:42.85.

Ackera Nugent, the indoor national champion in the women’s 60-meter hurdles, made her debut in the 100-meter hurdles and recorded a top-20 time in the NCAA (13.23) to get the win. Kennedy Bailey finished in third place with a time of 13.65.

Kavia Francis picked up the first win of her collegiate career, taking the title in the women’s 400 meters with a time of 53.29. Aaliyah Miller, the indoor national champion in the 800 meters, placed third with a time of 53.87.

Elijah Gifford also won for the first time of his career, clocking in at 52.70 to win the men’s 400-meter hurdles. Elijah Morris finished in third place with a time of 53.79.

Arria Minor won the 200 meters with a time of 23.33, then came back to anchor the women’s 4x400-meter relay team (Lily Williams, Mariah Ayers, Sydney Washington) to victory in a time of 3:38.92. Washington was also the runner-up in the 200 (23.63).

Morgan Stewart came away with the win in the women’s 800 meters, recording a time of 2:10.29.

Lily Jacobs won the women’s 5,000 meters by a full 10 seconds, recording a time of 17:13.54.

Cole Hardan took home the victory in the men’s shot put with a mark of 59-9 (18.21m).

“We got some nice (wins) today and some nice solid performances to continue to build on the successes we’ve had outdoors,” Harbour said. “The wind was a little bit tough in some events today, but we battled hard and fought and came away with a few (wins) and some PBs (personal bests). That’s what you ask for.”

Mikayla Deshazer recorded a pair of runner-up finishes, placing second in the shot put with a mark of 46-10.75 (14.29m) and second in the discus with a throw of 174-08 (53.25m).

Ryan Day was the runner-up in the men’s 1,500 meters (3:55.80), while Kade Hulett finished third with a time of 3:58.92.

Freshman Chris Stoudt finished third in the men’s javelin (176-6, 53.80m), Elijah Morris placed third in the men’s 110-meter hurdles (14.13), Kamden Jackson took third in the men’s 100 meters (10.32), and the men’s 4x400-meter relay team of Dillon Bedell, Hasani Barr, Ryan Croson and Howard Fields III took third (3:05.29).

“Today was a great prep for the Michael Johnson Invitational,” Harbour said. “Being at home and getting used to the routine at home. We’re just trying to get better every week. We’re thankful for the opportunity, and it was a good meet.”

The Bears are back in action April 16-17 for the Michael Johnson Invitational at Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>