No. 5 Baylor Men's Tennis Handles No. 20 Oklahoma, 5-2

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 3 19:58:25 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 3, 2021

No. 5 MT Handles No. 20 Oklahoma, 5-2
Stachowiak surpasses 200 career wins as Bears improve to 2-0 in Big 12 play

NORMAN, Okla. – No. 5 Baylor men’s tennis took care of No. 20 Oklahoma on Saturday in Norman, defeating the Sooners 5-2.

BU (23-3, 2-0) pushed its win streak to seven matches in a row for its longest streak of the season. The Bears also earned their sixth road victory against a ranked opponent and improved to 9-3 in 2020-21 against the top-25.

For the 20th time this season, the Bears grabbed the opening doubles point as Finn Bass/Charlie Broom cruised on court three, defeating Mark Mandlik/Max Stewart 6-1, and Matias Soto/Nick Stachowiak sealed it in the second spot, 6-3, over Welsh Hotard/Jake Van Emburgh.

The victory was number 200 for Stachowiak’s career between singles and doubles play. He has collected a combined 37 wins for the Bears this year, the most on the team.

BU carried its momentum into singles, coming up with four first-sets before the Sooners made a push. Baylor showed its resiliency throughout solo play and held off OU, as No. 62 Adrian Boitan was first off the court with a 6-4, 7-5 victory against Van Emburgh in the first position.

Stachowiak was next, finishing off Nathan Han 6-3, 6-4 on court four, but OU got one back from No. 111 Mason Beiler on court two, as he defeated No. 9 Matias Soto, 7-5, 6-2.

At No. 6 singles, Spencer Furman outlasted Justin Schlageter following a light first set and ultimately took the match 6-1, 7-6(5) to clinch the victory for the Bears.

As play finished up, OU’s Alex Martinez took down Sven Lah in a very tight battle on court three, 7-6(7), 7-6(3), but it was too little, too late as Charlie Broom put the nail in the coffin on court five with a 7-6(5), 2-6, 6-3 victory against Mandlik.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor improved to 23-3 on the season with a 10-3 record against ranked opponents and a 9-3 mark against the top-25.
• The Bears are now 8-1 on the road, including six ranked wins.
• Baylor swept the regular-season series against the Sooners, having previously notched a 4-1 win in Waco earlier this year.
• BU is now 20-6 in the doubles point this season and are 19-1 in matches when winning the opening tally.
• The Bears are now a combined 112-21 in singles action and 50-19 in doubles this season.
• Nick Stachowiak surpassed the 200-career win plateau combined between singles and doubles.
• Stachowiak leads the Bears with 37 total victories this season.
• Adrian Boitan tallied his sixth ranked singles win of the 2020-21 campaign.
• Charlie Broom improved to 16-2 in singles action, including a 12-1 mark at the No. 5 spot.

STAT OF THE MATCH
200 – Nick Stachowiak won his 200th career match with his doubles win against Hotard/Van Emburgh.

TOP QUOTES
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
On the team’s resiliency on the road…
“I was really impressed with our effort. The crowd was rowdy and in our face. We handled it as well as we possibly could, really hats off to the guys for putting in the work. It’s really starting to come together and pay off. I thought we did a really nice job of hunkering down and taking care of our service games. When the ball was put in the middle of the court, we executed, moved forward and finished. It felt like there were a lot of opportunities to win out there.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (23-3, 2-0) returns to Waco for a Saturday doubleheader against Abilene Christian and Texas Tech. First serves are scheduled for 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT at the Hurd.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)