No. 5 Baylor Men's Tennis Puts Away No. 18 Oklahoma State in Stillwater

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Apr 1 21:55:06 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 1, 2021
No. 5 MT Puts Away No. 18 Oklahoma State in Stillwater
Adrian Boitan seals the road victory with his fifth ranked win of the season
STILLWATER, Okla. – No. 5 Baylor men’s tennis (22-3, 1-0 Big 12) opened its Big 12 conference slate with a 4-2 road victory over No. 18 Oklahoma State (7-7, 0-1 Big 12) Friday at the Greenwood Tennis Center in Stillwater, Okla.
The Bears extended their overall win streak to six and earned their fifth road win over a ranked opponent this season.
The Bears got doubles rolling early when Matias Soto and Nick Stachowiak breezed to a 6-1 win over Emile Hudd and Dominik Kellovsky at the No. 2 spot. 18th-ranked Constantin Frantzen and Sven Lah secured the opening point with a 6-3 win against No. 24 Henrik Korsgaard and Matej Vocel.
In singles action, things got tight as the first sets were evenly split between the two ranked squads.
Spencer Furman opened up the 2-0 Baylor lead with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Etienne Donnet at the No. 6 spot while OSU got on the board with Mathieu Scaglia’s 7-5, 6-2 win over Stachowiak at the No. 4 position.
With the remaining four matches going three sets, Charlie Broom collected a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Kellovsky on court five before Sven Lah dropped a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 decision at the No. 3 spot to make it a 3-2 BU advantage.
After narrowly dropping his opening set, No. 62 Adrian Boitan closed the door with a 6-7(3), 6-3, 7-5 triumph over No. 44 Vocel at the top of the lineup to seal the road win for the Bears.
To keep up with things all season long, follow the team on social media: @BaylorMTennis.
HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor improved to 22-3 on the season, including a 9-3 mark against ranked opponents.
• The Bears are now 7-1 on the road this season, which includes five ranked wins.
• Baylor is now 30-11 all-time against Oklahoma State.
• BU improved to 19-6 in the doubles point this season, and the Bears are now 18-1 in matches when winning the opening tally.
• Baylor now holds a combined 108-19 record this season in singles action and a 48-19 mark in doubles.
• Constantin Frantzen earned the 102nd doubles win of his career, moving him into a tie for second place on Baylor's all-time leaderboard with Lars Poerschke. The fifth-year senior sits just two wins behind Benjamin Becker's school record 104.
• Adrian Boitan clinched his fifth ranked win of the season in singles action.
• Charlie Broom improves to 15-2 in singles action this season, including 11-1 at the No. 5 spot.
STAT OF THE MATCH
5 – the number of ranked road wins by the Bears so far this season.
TOP QUOTE
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
On the win…
“Just such a high-level, Big 12 college match. That’s what I think of when I think of Big 12 tennis. It was an absolute battle on every single court. I give a lot of credit to the guys, I thought we played fantastic doubles. We played some high energy, disciplined tennis on all three courts and came away with a pretty quick doubles point. OSU is tough in singles, they got up early but we did a nice job battling back. We were very fortunate to come out on top and hats off to Charlie [Broom] and Adrian [Boitan] for getting over the hump in their matches. To go on the road and beat a top-20 team like that in Big 12 conference play is all that we could ask for.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor returns to road action against No. 20 Oklahoma (8-9) on Saturday at 4 p.m. CT in Norman, Okla. The match will air on FOX Sports Oklahoma. BU defeated OU, 4-1, earlier this season in a non-conference match.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)