Baylor Baseball Falls in Rain-Shortened Finale, 9-5

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat May 21 20:44:53 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 21, 2022

Baylor Baseball Falls in Rain-Shortened Finale, 9-5
C. Caley picks up three hits, Pineda blasts third home run of last four games in loss

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball’s (26-26, 7-17) regular-season finale was halted by rain on Saturday at Baylor Ballpark, as No. 8 Oklahoma State (36-18, 15-9) claimed the series with a 9-5 win in eight innings.

Cam Caley led the Bears with three hits and an RBI, while Jack Pineda blasted his third home run in his last four games in the loss. BU got something going in the bottom of the ninth with two runners on and already one run across, but that’s when the rain came to put a stop to the rally. Per NCAA rules, the official final score reverted back to the last completed inning.

Baylor got the scoring started with three runs in the bottom of the first thanks in part to consecutive RBI singles off the bats of Kyle Nevin, Antonio Valdez and Caley. Blake Helton gave the Bears two scoreless innings on the mound before exiting in a scheduled shortened start.

OSU put one across in each of the third and fifth innings while reliever Mitchell Stone held the Bears’ bats in check for 6.1 frames. Then, the Cowboys plated three in the seventh and four in the eighth to break it open and go ahead, 9-3.

In the bottom of the eighth, Pineda’s solo shot provided a spark for Baylor and one more came across to score following an error on Caley’s infield single, but that would be all before the weather delay scrapped the stats from the ninth.

Following this weekend’s results, Baylor earned the No. 8 seed to the 2022 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship and will face No. 1 TCU on Wednesday, May 25, at 12:30 p.m. CT at Globe Life Field in Arlington.

NOTES
• Baylor finishes the regular season at 26-26 overall and 7-17 in Big 12 play.
• The Bears will be the No. 8 seed in the 2022 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship.
• BU ended the year with a 20-12 record at home.
• Baylor extended its streak to 31 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• BU continues to lead the nation with 61 double plays turned in 2022.
• Cam Caley set a career-high with three hits; his third multi-hit outing of the season.
• Kyle Nevin posted his 17th multi-hit game of the year.
• Jack Pineda hit his seventh home run of the season and third in the last four games.

STAT OF THE GAME
3 – Cam Caley led the Bears with three hits and Jack Pineda hit his third home run in his last four games.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On takeaways from the weekend…
“I thought our offense did a pretty good job executing early on. We just couldn’t get things going after the first inning. Once again, Jack [Pineda] comes up and hits a home run, we’re able to get some guys on base and then the weather hit. I liked where our guys were swinging the bat and it would’ve been interesting to see how everything played out. A lot of guys had an opportunity to pitch today and that way, we’re able to be fresh and ready to go for this week ahead.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (26-26, 7-17) will enter the 2022 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship as the No. 8 seed and face No. 1 TCU (35-18, 16-8) on Wednesday, May 25, at 12:30 p.m. CT at Globe Life Field in Arlington.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)