No. 13 Baylor WGOLF Tied for 12th after Round One at NCAA Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri May 20 22:50:49 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 20, 2022
No. 13 Baylor WGOLF Tied for 12th after Round One at NCAA Championship
Kaur, Belsham lead the Bears with a 2-over 74’s Friday
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Baylor women’s golf is tied for 12th place following a 13-over 301 on Friday in round one of the NCAA Championship at Grayhawk Golf Club.

BU posted its third-lowest opening-round score at the NCAA Championship in the Jay Goble era and its best since a 297 in the first round of the 2015 NCAA Championship.

In her final NCAA Championship, Gurleen Kaur shot a 2-over 74 to lead the team and finish tied for 27th as an individual. Kaur bogeyed two of her first four holes, starting on the back-nine, but bounced back to close the opening nine with birdies at Nos. 16 and 18 for an even-par 36. After a bogey at No. 1, Kaur birdied No. 2 to get back to even-par and take the solo lead. Following another bogey-birdie stretch in the middle of her second nine, she closed with bogeys at Nos. 7 and 9 for a 2-over 38.

Rosie Belsham is also tied for 27th after a 2-over 74, which tied her second-best NCAA Championship round. Belsham started with a bogey on No. 10 but bounced back with a birdie, setting the tone for an opening nine that featured just one par. Bogeys at Nos. 10, 12, 14, 15 and 17 and birdies at Nos. 11, 16 and 18 added up to a 2-over 38. The sophomore made her sixth bogey of the day at No. 1, but played her final eight holes at 1-under par, highlighted by birdies at Nos. 4 and 6 for a 1-over 37 on her second nine.

In her third NCAA Championship, Addie Baggarly shot her second-best score with an opening-round 76 to put her in a tie for 55th. She started 1-over through her first three holes with two bogeys and a birdie. She closed her opening nine with two more bogeys at Nos. 14 and 16 for a 3-over 39. After making the turn, Baggarly followed up a bogey at No. 2 with birdies at Nos. 3 and 4 to get under par on her back nine. The graduate transfer played her final five holes at 2-over par to come home with a 1-over 37 on her second nine.

Hannah Karg carded the fourth and final counting score for the Bears on Friday with a 5-over 77 to finish tied for 81st. She started strong with a bogey-free opening nine that included birdies at Nos. 12 and 16 to climb to the top of the leaderboard through nine holes. She opened her second nine with double bogeys at Nos. 1 and 3 before closing with bogeys at Nos. 6, 7 and 9 for a 7-over 43 on the back nine.

Britta Snyder shot an 11-over 83 on Friday and ended up in a tie for 125th.

No. 1 Stanford leads the field with a 1-over 289, three shots better than No. 19 Texas A&M in second place. Stanford’s Rose Zhang is the individual leader at 4-under, one shot better than A&M’s Zoe Slaughter.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      Gurleen Kaur (74), Rosie Belsham (74), Addie Baggarly (76) and Hannah Karg (77) carded their career-best opening rounds at the NCAA Championship.

•      Belsham tied for the most birdies in the field with five

•      Karg tied for the best par-3 scoring average on Friday with a 2.75

•      BU tied for the second-most birdies in the field with 14.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble: “I think it's a national championship course, and it's supposed to play hard, and there are also some different pressures that come along with that, but I believe our team fought hard. I know that we're not exactly where we wanted to be, but we're also not too far out of that spot. With three more rounds of stroke play to go, we're going to regroup and try to hit some balls, putt, chip and get ready for tomorrow. I am not concerned. We didn't have our best golf today, and we're not in bad shape. Now we’re going to get ready for a great day tomorrow, which I know we'll have.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor will play with LSU and UCLA again in round two, beginning at 1:41 p.m. CT with Hannah Karg, followed by Addie Baggarly at 1:52 p.m. Rosie Belsham will tee off at 2:03 p.m., just ahead of Britta Snyder at 2:14 p.m., and Gurleen Kaur will take her familiar anchor position at 2:25 p.m.

Live scoring will be available at golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=24975>. For more information on Baylor Women's Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]