Baylor Equestrian Routs Fresno State, 14-6, For Third Place

Smith, Kalie Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 30 17:21:11 CDT 2024

Baylor Equestrian Routs Fresno State, 14-6, For Third Place
Western dominance clinches third place for the Bears
For more information contact: Kalie Smith, 409-351-0790, Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu<mailto:Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN

WACO, Texas – Baylor equestrian (3-11) claimed third place in the Big 12 Championship, dominating Fresno State (3-10), 14-6, Saturday at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

BU dropped Flat but surged back in the Western arena with two event victories. A Fences win sealed third place for Baylor.

Lauren Reid (74.33) and Dominika Silvestri (83) tallied Flat points for the Bears. Reid’s 74.33-ride marked her seventh-consecutive point.

Baylor commanded Reining, 4-1. Riley Cachat (70.17), Emily Moomaw (70.83), Sadie Peters (69.5) and Kalena Reynolds (69.83) added to the tally. This event win marks the largest margin of victory this season.

After the break, BU continued the Western momentum, taking Horsemanship 4-1. Elsie Naruszewicz (74.83), Gianna Pozzi (72.33), Bella Rosa (70.33) and Alexis Rutledge (75.5) scratched points on the board.

The Bears clinched the win with a 4-1 Fences victory. Lauren Jorgensen (73.67), Madison Mitchell (77.33), Silvestri (77) and Maddie Vorhies (85) picked up the victory-sealing points for BU.

NOTABLES

  *   Baylor moves to 19-8 against Fresno State all-time.
  *   Ten of BU’s points were won with a margin of 2+ points.
  *   Two Bears went undefeated in their Big 12 Championship debuts, including Riley Cachat (Reining) and Emily Moomaw (Reining).
  *   Lauren Reid (Flat) picked up her seventh-consecutive point.
  *   Dominika Silvestri (Flat) collected her third-consecutive point.

STAT OF THE MEET

6- Six Bears claimed points in both rounds of the Big 12 Championship, including Riley Cachat (Reining), Lauren Jorgensen (Fences), Emily Moomaw (Reining), Lauren Reid (Flat), Alexis Rutledge (Horsemanship) and Dominika Silvestri (Flat).

TOP QUOTES

Head Coach Casie Maxwell

On today’s win…

“I am incredibly proud of the team for their bounce back performance today. They rode with a lot of confidence and finished on a high note for the season. There was a lot of extraordinary scenarios today that the team took in stride and handled great. I could not ask any more of them.”

Jumping Seat Fifth Year Dominika Silvestri

On team’s performance…

“Today everyone still came out swinging even though we were in the consolation bracket, but it went well. Started strong in Flat and fed into Fences. We had some uncontrollable circumstances us in Fences, but everyone kept their head up and we still came out on top. The western girls were really on top of it going for it in both events. I was really proud of them.”

Reining Freshman Sadie Peters

On her first Big 12 Championship…

“It was a really fun and exciting weekend. I’m glad I was able to show up for my team. I had a lot of confidence, and I was able to show that in the pen. Today, I was thrown some punches with a reride and different four-minute warmups, but I stayed calm with the help of Coach (Casie) Maxwell.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

-BaylorBears.com-

Kalie Smith | Communications Coordinator (Equestrian)