Baylor MT Goes 1-1 in Doubleheader Against UCF, Prairie View A&M

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 24 20:34:35 CDT 2024

Baylor MT Goes 1-1 in Doubleheader Against UCF, Prairie View A&M
Bears fall to 0-2 in conference play before dominating the non-conference bout
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 27 Baylor men’s tennis split its Sunday doubleheader against No. 34 UCF, dropping a 4-0 decision before dominating Prairie View A&M, 7-0.

The Bears (16-7 (0-2 Big 12)) took one doubles match from the Knights (15-2 (1-1 Big 12)) in the first match of the day before allowing just 19 games from the Panthers (1-18 (1-2 SWAC)) in the nightcap.

THE RUNDOWN – MATCH ONE

The Bears won the first victory of the day on the third doubles court, as Christopher Frantzen and Oskar Brostrom Poulsen tallied their eighth win of the spring season together by way of a 6-1 result over Francisco Llanes and Santiago Giamichelle.

UCF answered with wins at Nos. 1 and 2 to clinch the doubles point. At One, Yassine Dlimi and Paul Colin had the 6-4 advantage over No. 40 Tadeas Paroulek and Zsombor Velcz just before Liam Branger and Lleyton Cronje defeated Martin Breysach and Luc Koenig, 6-3, at the second court.

In singles, UCF took all six first sets before BU began to rally back.

Giamichelle and Brostrom Poulsen ended their match, 6-2, 6-3, in favor of the Knight just before Branger defeated Koenig in a breaker, 6-3, 7-6(1).

After battling point-for-point in the final games, Mehdi Benchakroun clinched the match for UCF at No. 6 over Ethan Muza, 6-1, 6-4.

Velcz, Paroulek and Bowden all fought to force third sets in their matches that went unfinished.

THE RUNDOWN – MATCH TWO

The Bears were dominant in doubles over the Panthers, only allowing one game on Court Two.

Paroulek and Velcz joined Justin Braverman and Frantzen in 6-0 sweeps over Prairie View A&M, while Arman Zamani and Breysach clinched the point with a 6-1 victory at the second court.

Braverman won his second singles match of the spring season in a quick, 6-0, 6-0, result over Ryan Boone at Court Six. Next up, Breysach defeated Xavier Peter-Gooding in another 6-0, 6-0 win. Clinching the match, Marko Miladinović had a fast match that led to a 6-0, 6-1 win at the No. 1 spot.

Finishing play, Frantzen took the second Boone brother, Jaydn, at 6-4, 6-2, while Zamani held Diego Hatem to a pair of 6-2, 6-2, sets.

In the final match of the day, Brostrom Poulsen battled with Eduardo Nunez Florez until the match found its 6-3, 6-4 win in favor of the Bears.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On today’s doubleheader…
“It’s hard to continue to play a little bit short-handed, and I think that wore on the guys a little bit too much. Then we got out there and just didn't seem ready for the fight that UCF was going to bring. I give [them] a ton of credit to them. I mean, they were ready to go, and they were super fired up for it, but it seemed like we weren't. I know that we care a lot, but we froze a little bit too much in situations and didn't respond well when adversity struck. Unfortunately, it's a common theme that we're falling behind and then we're fighting back. We can't fall that far behind on that many courts. Losing the doubles with all six first sets at home shouldn't happen against anybody, ever. It's not up to the standard that we expect of ourselves and each other. Hopefully this is a good learning experience for these guys. Going into the evening, the test for these guys was to work on being the ultimate competitor. I thought they did a good job overall coming out and competing with, energy and fight from start to finish regardless of the score. I think they stayed pretty focused all the way through on and off the court, which is all I can ask from them.”

UP NEXT

The Bears close out the home slate in Senior Night on Thursday, hosting Texas Tech at 6 p.m. for the annual Go Gold match.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F/XC, MTEN, FB)