Baylor Baseball Slowed as Texas Evens Weekend Series

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 23 18:25:42 CDT 2024

Baylor Baseball Slowed as Texas Evens Weekend Series
Bears unable to overcome four Longhorn homers, will play rubber match on Sunday

AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor baseball (8-14, 3-5) dropped a 10-2 contest at Texas (14-9, 3-2) on Saturday afternoon at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

The Bears were unable to overcome four Longhorn home runs and a complete game effort by UT’s starting pitcher Ace Whitehead, as Texas evened the weekend series.

A pair of Bears had two-hit games in junior outfielder Ty Johnson and junior infielder Hunter Teplanszky, while senior infielder Daniel Altman and Teplanszky were responsible for driving in BU’s two runs.

Redshirt freshman right-hander Collin McKinney was hit with the loss, while freshman lefty RJ Ruais made his third appearance of the season of at least three innings in relief. Redshirt junior righty Andrew Petrowski pitched a scoreless eighth inning and picked up two strikeouts for his second-consecutive multi-strikeout performance.

THE RUNDOWN
UT climbed out to an early 4-0 lead after a two-out RBI single on an 0-2 count opened the scoring and a three-run blast made up the crooked number.

The Bears pushed one across in the top of the second after junior outfielder Wesley Jordan doubled and later scored on Altman’s sacrifice fly. However, Texas extended its lead to 5-1 in the home half with a solo home run, the first of two on the day by leadoff batter Jared Thomas.

In the third, BU loaded the bases following a Johnson single, a double by redshirt junior outfielder Enzo Apodaca and an intentional walk to Jordan, but only came away with one run on Teplanszky’s single as Apodaca was thrown out at the plate to end the inning.

Thomas’ RBI single in the fourth made it 6-2, Longhorns, and an RBI double in the sixth pushed the UT lead to 7-2. Then in the eighth, two more Texas homers swelled the BU deficit to 10-2, where it would stay as the Horns evened up the weekend series.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Junior INF Hunter Teplanszky collected his seventh multi-hit game of the year, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.
• Junior OF Ty Johnson picked up his sixth multi-hit game of the year, going 2-for-4.
• Junior OF Wesley Jordan reached base for the 14th-consecutive game, a team best.
• Jordan also extended his hitting streak to eight games.
• Senior INF Daniel Altman drove in a run for the fourth-consecutive game.
• Freshman LHP RJ Ruais made his third relief appearance of three or more innings.
• Ruais also matched his season and career best with three strikeouts.
• Redshirt junior RHP Andrew Petrowski made his third scoreless appearance of the season and recorded two strikeouts, his second straight outing with multiple punchouts.

STAT OF THE DAY
14 – Wesley Jordan extended his on-base streak to 14 games.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On the challenge in today’s ballgame…
“Well the challenge was in the first inning when they jumped on us with those four runs. It’s a couple pitches, the 0-2 single to score the first run and followed by the home run ball. If you take those two pitches away, we’re in the game. It’s a 3-2 game until the eighth inning. I give Texas credit, they swung the bats well, they pitched well. I give Ace Whitehead credit, I think he was good and he kept us off balance. We couldn’t get enough going against him. We’ll just try and bounce back tomorrow.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (8-14, 3-5) and Texas (14-9, 3-2) square off in a Sunday rubber match with first pitch scheduled for 1:00 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)