=?Windows-1252?Q?Marriott_Deals, _Calder_Shuts_Door_in_Baylor_Baseball=92s?= Thrilling Win at Texas

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 23 00:15:37 CDT 2024

Marriott Deals, Calder Shuts Door in Baylor Baseball’s Thrilling Win at Texas
Bears take series opener, 4-3, in 11 innings behind stellar pitching

AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor baseball (8-13, 3-4) won a thrilling 4-3 ballgame in 11 innings over Texas (13-9, 2-2) Friday night at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

Junior right-hander Mason Marriott tied his career best with six innings pitched and allowed just one earned run with six strikeouts, while sophomore lefty Ethan Calder shut the door with four scoreless innings out of the bullpen.

Senior infielder Daniel Altman delivered the go-ahead RBI, doubling in pinch-runner Kade Fletcher in the top of the 11th to put Baylor ahead for good. Junior outfielder Wesley Jordan had three hits, while Altman and senior catcher Harrison Caley each added two knocks and an RBI apiece.

THE RUNDOWN
Texas scored first with a run in the bottom of the opening inning after the first three batters reached. Marriott was able to escape major damage as the lone run crossed the plate on a double play, which preceded an inning-ending groundout.

The Bears answered right back with a run in the top of the second, as Altman scored on an RBI double by redshirt junior infielder Will Pendergrass. However, the Longhorns would retake the lead in the bottom of the third on an RBI single.

After Marriott recorded the final two outs in the third, he went on to retire the UT side in order in each of the next three frames, keeping the deficit at 2-1 before exiting the ballgame. In the top of the seventh, Baylor manufactured a pair of runs as Caley doubled in junior infielder Tyriq Kemp on a hit and run, then later scored on senior infielder Mason Greer’s RBI single, putting BU in front 3-2.

After redshirt junior righty Patrick Hail put up a zero in the seventh, the Longhorns threatened in the eighth and loaded the bases to chase him from the mound. That’s when Calder came on and induced a run-scoring double play. With two outs and the go-ahead run just 90 feet away, Calder came up with a massive strikeout to keep the game tied going to the ninth.

Neither side saw a baserunner reach in the ninth or the 10th innings, but it was Jordan who led things off with a single in the top of the 11th for the Bears. After advancing to second on a groundout, Jordan was lifted for Fletcher, the pinch runner, who came around to score on Altman’s go-ahead RBI double to the wall.

With the Bears leading 4-3, Calder worked around a one-out walk in the home half to finish off the series-opening victory.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor improves to 2-2 against Texas under second-year head coach Mitch Thompson.
• This is BU’s first win in Austin since May 20, 2016.
• The Bears have now won three conference games in a row, their longest conference win streak since winning five in a row from April 26-May 4, 2019.
• Baylor out-hit Texas, 11-7, and struck out 10 Longhorns for its ninth double-digit strikeout game of the year.
• This is just the third time this season that the Bears have eclipsed double figures in both hits and strikeouts in the same game.
• BU turned two double plays to extend its Big 12-leading total to 21 twin killings on the season.
• Junior RHP Mason Marriott matched his career high with six innings pitched and allowed just one earned run while striking out six.
• This was Marriott’s fourth start going at least five innings and allowing three earned runs or less.
• Sophomore LHP Ethan Calder made his sixth scoreless appearance of the year and extended his scoreless innings streak to 13.2 innings.
• Calder has not allowed an earned run in his last 16.2 innings on the mound.
• Junior OF Wesley Jordan had three hits, tying his season high and marking his fourth multi-hit game of the year.
• Senior INF Daniel Altman had two hits for his fourth multi-hit game of the season.
• Senior C Harrison Caley had two hits for his second multi-hit game of the year.
• Junior OF Ty Johnson stole two bases, becoming the first Bear to swipe two bags in the same game in 2024.

STAT OF THE DAY
16.2 – Sophomore LHP Ethan Calder has not allowed an earned run over his last 16.2 innings pitched, including four scoreless frames in tonight’s win.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On tonight’s win…
“I thought it was a fantastic game from our club. I think that was exactly what we needed to do. I thought every guy on the team was competing to their utmost potential. It was a fun win. Mason Marriott was outstanding to start the game, Patrick Hail had some big outs and then Ethan Calder, how big was that. That was huge. Danny Altman had the big hit, but we had guys up and down the lineup getting things done so it was a lot of fun.”

On getting contributions from the entire team…
“There was a whole bunch of guys who contributed to this one tonight. Everyone in this dugout and in our bullpen was pulling as hard as they could too. We’ll show up tomorrow and try to get a series win.”

Sophomore LHP Ethan Calder
On getting the win…
“I just wanted to win that ballgame for our club. We’ve had a lot of one-run games. I really wanted to pull through. Danny [Altman] got that clutch hit and I knew right there that we had to get this win.”

Junior RHP Mason Marriott
On his performance…
“I just kept attacking. Kept throwing what pitch was called. I had confidence in myself to keep going at them and tried to stay within myself.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (8-13, 3-4) and Texas (13-9, 2-2) return for game two of the series on Saturday, March 23, at 2:30 p.m. from UFCU Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)