Baylor Baseball Drops Midweek Battle to No. 17 Dallas Baptist, 8-5

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue Mar 5 22:47:03 CST 2024

Baylor Baseball Drops Midweek Battle to No. 17 Dallas Baptist, 8-5
Bears score in five innings, but miss out on big hit in three-run loss

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (4-8) dropped an 8-5 contest to No. 17 Dallas Baptist (11-1) on Tuesday night at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

Despite scoring in five different innings, the Bears went 0-for-15 with runners in scoring position and couldn’t overcome a pair of three-run innings by the Patriots.

Junior outfielder Ty Johnson returned to the lineup after missing the last four games due to injury and tallied a pair of hits, including a double, and scored two of BU’s five runs on the night. Six Baylor pitchers combined to strike out 12 Patriots, including a trio of three-strikeout performances by redshirt freshman right-hander Tanner Duke, senior lefty Kobe Andrade and senior righty Grant Golomb.

THE RUNDOWN
After a quiet first inning in which both sides were retired in order, both the Bears and the Patriots threatened but left runners on base in the second, including BU stranding the bases loaded. That allowed DBU to take the game’s first lead in the third, thanks to an RBI single and two-run homer.

Baylor responded with a run in each of its next two innings at the plate, as Johnson scored on a wild pitch in the third and redshirt junior outfielder Enzo Apodaca walked with the bases loaded in the fourth, cutting the Patriots lead to 3-2.

An RBI double in the top of the sixth pushed the DBU lead to 4-2, and a three-spot in the seventh extended the score to 7-2, though Baylor showed some fight and put up single tallies in each of the next three innings. An errant pickoff throw allowed the Bears to plate one in the seventh, an Apodaca sacrifice fly scored Johnson in the eighth, and an RBI groundout by redshirt junior outfielder Kade Fletcher brought the Bears back within three.

That’s as many as they would get, though, as BU ultimately left 12 men on base in the loss. DBU’s Connor Benge collected his first win of the year and Jerrod Jenkins worked a three-inning save, as Duke was tabbed with the loss.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor is now 1-2 in midweek contests this season and 1-2 against in-state opposition.
• BU pitchers combined for 12 strikeouts, marking the seventh time in 2024 that the Bears have eclipsed double-digit punchouts, and the 27th time in the Thompson era.
• Baylor worked 10 walks, a season-high for DBU, and was hit by a pitch three times.
• Junior OF Ty Johnson recorded his third multi-hit game of 2024.
• Redshirt junior OF Enzo Apodaca extended his on-base streak to 11 games.
• Apodaca also collected his sixth multi-RBI game of the year.
• Redshirt junior INF Will Pendergrass extended his hitting streak to seven games.
• Senior INF Daniel Altman extended his on-base streak to six games.
• Redshirt freshman RHP Tanner Duke tied his season high with three strikeouts.
• Senior LHP Kobe Andrade fanned a season-high three batters in his third scoreless outing of the year.
• Senior RHP Grant Golomb struck out a season-high three batters.

STAT OF THE DAY
13 – Baylor received 13 free passes from DBU, with 10 walks and three hit batters.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On tonight’s ballgame…
“We just didn’t swing the bat well enough. They made some pitches, give DBU credit. They didn’t really help us a whole lot defensively either. We hit some balls hard, but we hit them right at them at times and we just didn’t do enough.”

On his team’s growth over non-conference play…
“I think we’ve grown a lot on the mound. I think our guys have shown good ability. DBU is a really good hitting club. And for the most part, we ran a bunch of different guys out there and they handled themselves pretty good. I think our bullpen’s deeper. I like that I have more options there. We’ve just got to compete a little bit better offensively.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (4-8) opens Big 12 play at Houston (8-4) with a three-game series at Schroeder Park, beginning on Friday, March 8, at 6:30 p.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)