Baylor Baseball Swept By No. 22 Indiana

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 25 17:54:25 CST 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 25, 2024

Baylor Baseball Swept By No. 22 Indiana
Bears drop 15-5 finale in eight innings

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (1-6) was swept by No. 22 Indiana as the Hoosiers finished off a 15-5 run-rule victory on Sunday afternoon at Baylor Ballpark.

The Bears hung tight to a one-run deficit through six innings before IU broke it open with a seven-run seventh inning. Junior outfielder Ty Johnson tallied three hits and made a terrific catch in center field as BU collected a season-high 11 hits on the day, but left 12 men on base.

Redshirt junior right-handed pitcher Patrick Hail and sophomore southpaw Ethan Calder gave the Bears five strong innings of relief before Indiana’s big inning. BU starter Jared Matheson was tagged with the loss.

THE RUNDOWN
Indiana got on the board first thanks to a two-run shot by 2023 Big Ten Freshman of the Year and preseason-All American Devin Taylor in the top of the opening inning, though Baylor responded with a sacrifice fly from redshirt junior outfielder Enzo Apodaca in the home half to make it 2-1.

After a pair of hits and a pair of errors led to an IU tally in the top of the second, the Hoosiers added one more on a solo blast in the third to take a 4-1 lead. BU got within one after senior infielder Daniel Altman’s RBI single and redshirt junior outfielder Kade Fletcher’s sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fourth, though that’s as close as the scoreline would get.

Hail and Calder kept the Bears close until the seventh, when Indiana plated seven runs on four hits, three free passes and one BU error, extending the lead to 11-3. Redshirt junior infielder Will Pendergrass singled in a run in the bottom of the seventh, cutting the deficit to 11-4.

In the eighth, Taylor crushed his second homer of the day and third of the weekend as part of an Indiana four-spot to make it 15-4. Fletcher crossed the plate for Baylor on a passed ball for the game’s final tally.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor is now 17-15-1 all-time against Big Ten foes, excluding former Big 12 rival Nebraska.
• The Bears are now 129-132-1 all-time against ranked opponents at home.
• BU notched a season-high 11 hits on Sunday against Indiana.
• Junior INF Hunter Teplanszky reached base for the 13th game in a row, dating back to last season, and collected his third multi-hit game of the season.
• Redshirt junior OF Enzo Apodaca extended his hitting streak to six games with a single in the seventh inning.
• Junior OF Ty Johnson posted his second multi-hit game of the year and extended his on-base streak to five games.
• Redshirt junior OF Kade Fletcher collected his first-career hit at the Division I level and notched his first-career RBI.
• Freshman LHP Jackson Wilkerson made his collegiate debut and pitched a scoreless inning.

STAT OF THE DAY
24 – Baylor used 24 different players in Sunday’s ballgame.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On positive takeaways from a tough weekend…
“Until the seventh inning today, it’s a really tight ballgame. Patrick Hail came in and pitched great and competed really hard for us. Ethan Calder did the exact same thing. Offensively, we swung the bats better. It’s disappointing that the game got away from us because we had a shot. We ended up needing six or seven attempts to get that third out in the seventh inning and we just didn’t get it. I’m glad we’re playing good opponents. I’m glad they’re exposing us. I want us to get better and start winning ballgames.”

On the bottom of the order putting together better at-bats…
“If the guys at the bottom will get on base, then we’re going to be ok because the guys at the top have given us pretty good at-bats too. I thought Ty Johnson played well today, played like a warrior. Made a big time play in center field against the wall, beat out an infield single, makes a heads up play sliding into first base, and Enzo [Apodaca] keeps swinging the bat well too. [Hunter] Teplanszky had a couple of hits. We went with the matchups today and you know, Daniel Altman came on and got an RBI base hit, Kade Fletcher got his first start and swung the bat pretty good. Guys that go perform are going to get more opportunities to perform again, that’s just kind of how it works. But there’s lots of work to do, and we’re disappointed about the final results.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (1-6) welcomes Abilene Christian (6-3) for a midweek matchup on Wednesday, Feb. 28. First pitch is set for 4 p.m. from Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)