Baylor Baseball Swept By No. 21 West Virginia

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 28 14:15:08 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 28, 2024

Baylor Baseball Swept By No. 21 West Virginia
Posey homers twice, though free passes undo Bears in series finale

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Baylor baseball was swept by No. 21 West Virginia after the Mountaineers claimed a 13-4 victory in the series finale on Sunday at Kendrick Family Ballpark in Morgantown, W.Va.

Sixteen free passes on the mound told the story for BU pitching, as the Bears walked a season-high 11 and plunked another five batters to assist the WVU offense, which added another 12 hits on the day.

Baylor’s fifth-year senior infielder Cole Posey had a fantastic day at the plate, going 3-for-3 with two home runs and a walk. Posey drove in three of the Bears’ four runs and accounted for half of the team’s hits.

Sophomore southpaw Ethan Calder made his first-career start and gave BU three decent innings, allowing just two runs on two hits and three walks. But a trio of crooked numbers in the fifth, seventh and eighth allowed WVU to pull away and finish off the series sweep.

THE RUNDOWN
Posey and the Bears struck first in the top of the second with a two-run shot to left field, but West Virginia answered right back with a two-run blast of its own in the home half to even the score at 2-2.

In the fourth, Posey got ahold of another one and launched a 431-foot homer to give Baylor the lead back. An RBI groundout in the next inning by redshirt junior outfielder Enzo Apodaca made it 4-2, Bears, though WVU responded with three runs in the bottom of the fifth to start a string of 11 unanswered runs.

Five runs on just three hits but four free passes and a Baylor error crossed the plate for the Mountaineers in the seventh, and another three came home in the eighth on a pair of run-scoring doubles to account for the 13-4 margin.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Redshirt junior OF Enzo Apodaca drove in his team-leading 35th run of the season.
• Fifth-year senior INF Cole Posey hit two home runs, the first two-homer game of his career. The blasts were his third and fourth of the year and 10th and 11th of his career.
• Posey logged his sixth multi-hit and fourth multi-RBI game of 2024, while also extending his on-base streak to 13 games.
• Redshirt junior OF Kade Fletcher picked up a hit in each of the three ballgames against WVU, extending his hit streak to four games.
• Sophomore LHP Ethan Calder made his first-career start and threw three innings of two-run baseball.
• Redshirt junior RHP Andrew Petrowski pitched a scoreless frame, his seventh scoreless appearance of the season.

STAT OF THE DAY
2 – Fifth-year senior INF Cole Posey hit two home runs, his first-career multi-homer game.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On the loss…
“We’re not going to be in games if we can’t pitch better than we did today. You can’t give that many free passes. I thought our hitters competed hard, to score four runs and take an early lead. But, we’re going to have to get some things figured out on the mound. It’s a disappointing day for sure, but we’ve got to get back up and get after this next week.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (19-23) returns to Waco for the homestretch of the season, with eight of its last 12 games being played at Baylor Ballpark, beginning on Tuesday, April 30, against UT Arlington (18-25) at 6:30 p.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)